Menu

is this a problem?

MeganW

My 7 1/2 year old DD has had vision issues that have caused major reading delays, but with vision therapy, she has made significant progress. Her phonics are now at a 2nd grade level, though comprehension is still way behind.

Here's the problem. She still can't reason things out. For example, she had this problem the other day:

"I am green or brown. I live near the water, and like to sit on lily pads. I say ribbit. I am a fr____."

She had no problem reading it. Then she answered "frind" (friend).

The next one said something like:

"I am a white, and am good with cookies. I come from a cow. If you turn me over, I spill. I am m____."

Again, no trouble reading it, and yet she wrote "mesy" instead of milk.

Would you worry about this? Or just chalk it up to oddly creative and unlogical?

If it makes a difference, this kid had an APGAR at birth of 2, a Level 3 brain bleed early on that resolved on its own, and is possibly dyslexic. But of the triplets, she was the first/ most advanced developmentally from birth through probably age 4 or so. (The vision became a real issue after that.)

I can't comment on the specifics of these examples, but I agree that it could be a form of comprehension problem (if it rises to the level to be termed a problem). Some SLPs do therapy for this type of language processing problem but you can work on comprehension at home - visualization techniques, making inferences and drawing conclusions, etc.

It is possible that it takes all of her resources just to read the words and she has nothing left to devote to comprehension. I would try to see if she can do this orally with you reading it to her. If she can get it that way, then it is not a comprehension problem, but an indication that she needs more phonics practice.

Also, I want to mention that the second one that is supposed to be "milk" was not wrong--just a different answer than you were looking for.

My kids are younger (5, 4, 4) but we have similar riddles in AAR pre-level 1, although they're done orally. My twins can handle them no problem, but my 5yo cannot. He does, however, get them correct more often if I reword them for him without the I pronoun.

"This is something that is green or brown. It lives near the water, and likes to sit on lily pads. It says ribbit. It is a fr____."

With the "I" statements, he can't remove himself from the answers.