Menu

Neck pain: What do you do? Who do you see?

I've had problems with my neck off and on. I first went to a doctor, who just told me to take 2 Aleve twice a day, and also gave me muscle relaxers. I also tried a chiropractor who adjusted me several times a week for quite a while. It improved and worked, but then, the last time, I had a weird feeling after the adjustment and wondered if a blood vessel had been pinched or something?? That was about 14 years ago and I haven't been back. Neck adjustments scare me!

But, here I am, having lots of pain in my neck. I haven't been to anyone -- just been taking 2 Aleve twice a day since Friday night. What options do I have? What do you do in this situation?

I have two herniated discs in my neck and I often get stiff necks. I've gone to regular MDs for pain meds and such and have been referred to PT several times. However, I have a wonderful chiropractor who employs a fabulous massage therapist, and the two of them together have my neck feeling better within a few days whenever it goes out. I don't even bother with the pain meds anymore because I know my peeps will fix it.

Have you tried massage? A knowledgeable massage therapist may be able to find the origin of the pain. Sometimes pain comes from another area of the body and other parts of the body have to compensate. For example, I had a rigid abdominal muscle with a heavy aortic beat. This was unusual to my midwife, chiropractor, and MD. I got an ultrasound to rule out a possible aneurysm. However, my massage therapist pinpointed the problem, which was in my upper back (of all places). My trapezius muscle had lengthened in the upper back (from slouching and poor posture), which in turn caused my pectoral muscles to contract (and stay that way). This put stress on my abdominal muscles and intercostal rib muscles. Crazy. Anyhoo, the massage therapist is sometimes able to help one figure such things out.

Blessings...and sorry you have neck pain. Not fun.

I take muscle relaxant, now that there is one that doesn't make you sleepy. Skelaxin is great and now is available as a generic so probably cheaper? I only pay little copays for a few months and then nothing for the rest of the year so I have no actual knowledge of what the medicine costs but I do notice when it changes to generic, which it has.

I have chronic neck pain due to scoliosis, bone spurs, and a bulging disc.

The short answer is to go to a physical therapist. Start with an orthopedic dr or a chiropractor who can xray to determine the cause of the problem. You may need an MRI also. Then, INSIST on a referral to a physical therapist.

You should search my name and the term "scoliosis"--I have written some long posts on addressing neck and back pain.

I forgot to say this in my last post- I'm sorry you're dealing with neck pain. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: It's the worst.

I remember being pregnant with ds1 and I was in the worst neck pain of my life and I was crying and telling dh I'd rather be dead than live like that. Poor guy did not know what to do. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

My official diagnosis for my neck pain is...IPad Neck. Yeah. Seriously. :glare:

My doctor couldn't even say it without laughing (we're friends). Treatment? 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day, and a muscle relaxant at night. Oh, and quit leaning my head forward when I'm using my IPad. If that doesn't work I'll brace the humiliation and go see the PT. With my prescription to treat IPad Neck.

My doc said, "Hey, that better than having Texting Thumb Tendonitis." Whatever. :glare:

I've had neck pain off and on for about 15yrs. It happens especially if I turn my head a certain way. I know exactly how I got it and I think it's a pinched nerve or disk problem (never went to the doctor). However, last year during our move I was so stressed the pain was unbearable and constant. I hate going to the doctors for myself and I just put up with it. Finally, I decided to try one of those memory foam pillows (the ones with the contours for side sleepers) at Target for about $20. I figured if it didn't help then I'd go to the doctors. I haven't had any problems since.

It might be worth it to try first.