Menu

no energy, fatigue????

I've got next to no energy. 3 weeks ago, I started the ADA 1800 cal diet and lost 3lbs. This week, I switched over to South Beach because I was so tried all the time and the ada diet is a lot of work (IMHO). It has been 3 days on South Beach and I'm not hungry like I was on ADA (but I am craving fruit). I skipped a cycle and it did decide to start on day 54 the end of last week (oh joy). But, I am really, really tired. I haven't been able to make it through a typical workout since last Thurs. I'm sleeping fine, better than I have in a long time in fact. I'm taking vitamins/minerals. I'm drinking lots of water and herb teas.

Could the diet be causing the fatigue and lack of energy? I thought eating healthy and losing weight would give me more energy. Before anyone asks, I had labs run in late June. Everything was fine - no issues with thyroid or anything like that.

You're on day 3 of SB? In the initiation/very low carb phase? That's REALLY common in the first week of serious carb reduction. You'll feel better in another day or two. I do feel GREAT on a LC diet, but only after the first week when my body has adjusted.

The fruit cravings are also common. They should start to fade soon too. Day 3 is the worst, by day 5 I'm feeling really good usually, so you should be close...

I've had boughts of fatigue before, and yes, they are frequently attached to my cycle. However, this go round, I'm really, really fatigued.

The ADA was not low carb. I could have 7 oz total protein a day spread over 3 meals and 1 snack and up to 10 carb exchages (I usually had 7 or 8).

South Beach phase 1 is limited in carbs. Basically, I can have protein and veggies the first 2 weeks.

You're on day 3 of SB? In the initiation/very low carb phase? That's REALLY common in the first week of serious carb reduction. You'll feel better in another day or two. I do feel GREAT on a LC diet, but only after the first week when my body has adjusted.

The fruit cravings are also common. They should start to fade soon too. Day 3 is the worst, by day 5 I'm feeling really good usually, so you should be close...

I hope you are right!! I am over being this dragged out tired!

• 2 months later...

I cannot function on low carb diets. They leave me with severe fatigue. Perhaps you are this way too?

I can't do ultra-LC diets either. What I do for phase 1 of SB is to have a whole grain breakfast (usually a bowl of steel cut oats made with milk) and just do lunch & dinner according to the book.

I lasted all of 24 hours on Phase One of the SBD--I needed the carbs. My husband did well on it the first time he tried, but he was totally wiped out when he started it over a couple years later. If you can make it through this phase, I bet your energy will come back when you move to Phase 2.