Menu

Early Elementary Geography Programs

heidirenata

I have a 2nd grader and a Kindergartner. I have also used several programs with my older children.

We use the Holling C. Holling books with the maps from Beautiful Feet Books. BFB has a study guide, but we are following the schedule from Ambleside Online. They are spread out over 3 years.

We have also used Little Passports for world geography, it is a fun extra.

Knowledge Quest is having a sale right now on their ebooks, the sale price isn't showing up on their site but I recieved an email saying they are 50% off this week. I also have A Child's Geography from KQ, which I plan to use next year with my 3rd grader, as he will have finished the Holling books.

This book is used in Mater Amabilis, which is another CM curriculum. It covers topics in physical geography such as water systems, weather, etc. It is a nice reference, and has simple activities and "experiments" to do. I would call it hands on. We used it in 1st grade and my oldest son loved it.

HTH!

Edited by VeritasMama

We're using the Trail Guide to World Geography this year. Funny enough, I'm teaching my seventh graders and my second grader with it. So far we love it. I bought the ebook workbooks online to go with the print book. You don't have to have the Ultimate Geography and Timeline guide that way. I did get Geography through Art to go with it so we can do weekly art projects. I think this is going to be a big hit in my house.

Otter

Has nobody mentioned this workbook (best IMO), which you can use for your 2nd grader?--

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, grades 3-6 workbook.

Last time I checked, it cost about $10 from Amazon. That is a deal for a good quality, color workbook which is over 300 pages long.

If you want something really interesting, buy an out of print copy of Hillyer's A Child's Geography of the World. That is a fun read, though it would be a little better if someone would revise it (hint, hint, Calvert...).