Menu

Please help me with this pee issue

My rat terrier which was recently put down :crying: was prone to accidents in the house during her final months. I removed ALL area rugs and mats because of this.

My problem is still here. I really wanted to buy a funky rug to go by some chairs but that is obviously out. My dogs will pee on it, or ANY rug that is out. I am really trying to live without mats by the doors but I just can't do it anymore. Even though we wipe off dry paws, there is always dirt and sand by doors and I am co stantly vacuuming and sweeping. But when I put something down, my dogs do pee on it. I think it is my 11 year old dachsund who has made it clear to his two brothers, over 60 lbs, and his sister, over 60 lbs, that HE is the alpha male.:lol::lol::lol:But I am going CRAZY.

Any ideas as to what I can use? I am considering ugly rubber mats.......but they are SO UGLY.

I'm confused---- it seems like you're saying that your dogs will pee on any rug, anywhere. Is that what you're saying? Or just in front of doors?

If it's the former, were they "paper trained?" I know you have a lot of rescues, so maybe before you had them? Lots of little dogs in urban settings are trained this way. It can be a tough habit to break.

That said, housebreaking violations are a no-go. If a dog's not trustworthy in the house, he's in a crate or tied to a person.

More info, and maybe I can understand better?

astrid

I'm confused---- it seems like you're saying that your dogs will pee on any rug, anywhere. Is that what you're saying? Or just in front of doors?

If it's the former, were they "paper trained?" I know you have a lot of rescues, so maybe before you had them? Lots of little dogs in urban settings are trained this way. It can be a tough habit to break.

That said, housebreaking violations are a no-go. If a dog's not trustworthy in the house, he's in a crate or tied to a person.

astrid

It is any rug, anywhere. My cur will be a year old in a few weeks. He was fully trained. My mastiff is a rescue and was harder to train but doing well now. My dachsund has been with us since he was 4.5 months and he has been problem but seems fine with no rugs. He will mark on any rug. He never did this until we brought other males into the home. He is 11. We brought our greyhound home 8 yeard ago.

I did buy the dachsund that belly band you recommended but the problem now is that the other puppies (never greyhound) seem to think rug = toilet area because of my deceased dog, and probably my dachsund. :glare: when there are no area rugs and dogs are let out regularly, and SEPARATELY (so they actually pee and not only play!) there are no issues.

astrid

:iagree:

Retrain your dogs and reclaim your house!

How about washable rugs or ones that are cheap enough to be hosed down every few days and then tossed/replaced as needed?

Can you find some decent looking towels to put down during the day like a rug but then washed every night?

I have been using towels but they slide all over the pkace and don't contain the dirt like I'd prefer. BUT THE DOGS DON'T PEE ON THEM!!!!!!

I have been using towels but they slide all over the pkace and don't contain the dirt like I'd prefer. BUT THE DOGS DON'T PEE ON THEM!!!!!!

lololol of course not! I wonder if you could use them with a rug no-slip mat for a month or two to break their habit and then replace them with new rugs.

I wonder if the fabric softener/laundry detergent smell deters them? Do they pee on clothes or other washed items?

If you can't wash the rugs, I wonder what would happen if you sprayed them with your laundry soaps? Maybe the smell would stop them?

lololol of course not! I wonder if you could use them with a rug no-slip mat for a month or two to break their habit and then replace them with new rugs

Well aren't you brilliant!!!

I wonder if the fabric softener/laundry detergent smell deters them? Do they pee on clothes or other washed items? Never. ONLY rugs or area rugs.

If you can't wash the rugs, I wonder what would happen if you sprayed them with your laundry soaps? Maybe the smell would stop them?

I thought about this for a minute. I have had rugs I wash, bleach, completely remove the smell, but rugs are rugs and the issue is still there. I really do remember reading this habit can be hard to break once it starts, and I remember worrying about it when my rat terrier had accidents.