Menu

Tapestry of Grace

dressagemom

I bought the first unit in digital + print. I will buy the next unit in the digital version. I am using it for LG only so I don't need to print very much. I love that they will allow you to upgrade to print for the price difference if you buy digital only but then decide you would like print as well. That being said I am glad I bought the first unit printed because it allowed me to get a great feel for the program. I think I may have been too overwhelmed to just use it digitally from the beginning.

I have DE. I have considered adding the print option, but because my kids are really young still, I don't think I need it. I only have one more year-plan to purchase before I have them all. Once we get to the D and R stages, I think that I may want the print version. Or maybe by then, they will have an iPad app that we can use to read all those teacher pages and lead those awesome Socratic discussions.

You didn't mention the ages of your children. That has a huge affect on how one would use TOG.

Last year I did print and DE. This year I did DE and we are moving through unit 1 of Year 4. Honestly, I really miss the print edition and ended up printing the whole unit anyway. It was a pain in the patootie to do so, and so I will be purchasing the following units in paper as we come to them. I know that my friend prints them week by week as she plans, but I like to have the whole thing there in front of me so I can plan way ahead, flip back and forth, etc. If they would just get an ipad app, all would be solved. :glare:

Thank you for your responses! My children are ages 5, 8, and 10 (with a 2 yr. old in the mix for excitement). I'm thinking after speaking with customer service that my 5 and 8 yr. olds will be LG, and my 10 yr. old UG. I really wanted to use the DE, but I can't get the sample to download because of a problem with the LockLizard license that even the tech support guy can't figure out. However, after looking at the print sample online, I am really even more convinced that TOG would be a good fit for us. I am going to do the 3 week sample, and if I still feel that way at the end, I am going to purchase the print edition. I'm thinking that I may like having the print edition as we get started, because I think it may be easier for me to see the whole layout, if that makes sense.

Do any of you participate in a TOG co-op? That seems like it would be a great way to do some of the activities.

Just an FYI...I think TOG has recently changed it's upgrade policy if you purchase your print version used. If you buy from them directly, the options may be the same.

That said, I have both print & DE versions and I think I'll probably just go with the DE from now on. We are using mainly LG levels right now so it's pretty easy to use from DE...plus I will want the updates as we go along. At our level, we primarily use the reading selections (substituting when the library doesn't have a particular title), activity suggestions, and literature pages (if they apply). We also use the maps, but that is an extra supplement. Prep work is easy to do once you get the gist of the layout. Have you checked out this video about scheduling? It may be helpful??

I do agree with the PP that said it may be a bit overwhelming to go straight to DE for the first time though - especially with the upper levels. It would be IDEAL if they had an iPad app or even an online version so we could access it that way. Maybe in the future...

Thank you for your responses! My children are ages 5, 8, and 10 (with a 2 yr. old in the mix for excitement). I'm thinking after speaking with customer service that my 5 and 8 yr. olds will be LG, and my 10 yr. old UG. I really wanted to use the DE, but I can't get the sample to download because of a problem with the LockLizard license that even the tech support guy can't figure out. However, after looking at the print sample online, I am really even more convinced that TOG would be a good fit for us. I am going to do the 3 week sample, and if I still feel that way at the end, I am going to purchase the print edition. I'm thinking that I may like having the print edition as we get started, because I think it may be easier for me to see the whole layout, if that makes sense.

Do any of you participate in a TOG co-op? That seems like it would be a great way to do some of the activities.

I think you are right about where to place your children. And I would even expect that your 5yo would just be tagging along with your 8yo and would not necessarily be doing all of the LG stuff. I started my dd when she was 5yo, and she loved it so much, she wanted to do everything, but it was so much work for me, because she was so young and needed a lot of help with everything.

As for DE v. Print, the advantage to DE is that it is cheaper, you have less paper (assuming you read it on your computer), and you get the automatic updates while still having access to lesson plans for out-of-print books. But I don't think those automatic updates are all that advantageous, because once you buy a book, that is the one you will use with all the rest of the kids. And if you are using the library, they will more likely have the older books rather then the newer ones, anyway. Also, I have been collecting used books for the D and R levels. By the time we get to that point, many of those will have been replaced in the updates. So if you intend to stock up on books ahead of time, then you don't really want the automatic updates, anyway.

I have DE plus print for the three year plans I own so far. I am a paper person so I need the print. I like to print from my DE and my youngest is only four so updates are a good thing. I use the library a lot so books may change in the next fourteen years, and I'm secretly hoping they will change the Y4 D spine.

I didn't read the other replies. I've dabbled with TOG a couple times. I have year 1 in print and year 3 in DE. I love DE! I love that it doesn't take up 8-10 inches of shelf space. I love that I can click and pull up anything I need anytime. I can find what I need quicker with DE than I can flipping through a paper copy. Love it! (except I'm not using it right now, :lol:).

I curious if anyone here uses Tapestry of Grace. Do you use the DE or print? I would love to hear how you use it. Thanks!

I use the DE and love it. But since I have a distrust of computers (electronics keep breaking down on me) I also print the unit plans so I have a master copy. Thankfully I have a great printer!

My little tag-alongs (3 and turning 2) are enjoying the LG literature books and some of the arts and crafts activities. My 3yo dd loved the Rapunzel book that was assigned, and we're looking forward to making crowns this next week.

My 9yo is doing the UG/LG readings (depending upon availability), mapwork, arts and crafts with the younger 2, and the TOG lapbook.

My older 3 are doing either the D or R readings, mapwork, SAP, and discussions. We're also running a group timeline. I ran a timeline up a door and printed timeline figures from the TOG year 3 yahoo group. The kids attach the timeline figures as part of the discussion. :D

I didn't read the other replies. I've dabbled with TOG a couple times. I have year 1 in print and year 3 in DE. I love DE! I love that it doesn't take up 8-10 inches of shelf space. I love that I can click and pull up anything I need anytime. I can find what I need quicker with DE than I can flipping through a paper copy. Love it! (except I'm not using it right now, :lol:).

That was exactly my thought WRT to the shelf space! Plus, I figured DE was more portable. Still, if I can't get the license to work on my computer, then it isn't really an option for me.

I use the DE and love it. But since I have a distrust of computers (electronics keep breaking down on me) I also print the unit plans so I have a master copy. Thankfully I have a great printer!

My little tag-alongs (3 and turning 2) are enjoying the LG literature books and some of the arts and crafts activities. My 3yo dd loved the Rapunzel book that was assigned, and we're looking forward to making crowns this next week.

My 9yo is doing the UG/LG readings (depending upon availability), mapwork, arts and crafts with the younger 2, and the TOG lapbook.

My older 3 are doing either the D or R readings, mapwork, SAP, and discussions. We're also running a group timeline. I ran a timeline up a door and printed timeline figures from the TOG year 3 yahoo group. The kids attach the timeline figures as part of the discussion. :D

What a great idea for a timeline! I think that is wonderful! I can't wait to get started!

My older DS (he is currently in private school) asked if he could do the sample with us as he thought studying ancient Egypt would be fun.

We use TOG Year 1 with my 7 yo son and 5 yo daughter. We do a mix of UG and LG. I have the printed copy. I like being able to flip back and forth. But I am thinking about getting DE for next year. We also participate in a co-op class. I started up the class at our co-op and we meet weekly and just do some of the student activities and plan a few field trips. Last week was our first class and it went well. This will be my first full year using TOG. We used it for the last month of school last year and both my kids loved it. I love it because it is a reading based curriculum that I do with both kids and because it is flexible enough for my ecclectic style of teaching.

Do you mamas use a separate grammar/language arts curriculum? If so, what do you use? We have been using Shurley Grammar for several years. I feel like it is a comprehensive program that has given my children a good foundation in writing and grammar.

I do not like WA for the grammar years, though I expect to use it for high school. I use WWE instead. I don't use a separate grammar program right now, because we get a good deal of grammar in SWR and WWE. I plan on adding formal grammar in about 4th grade.

Just popping in to say I love your user name! ;) I have the DE version, but have yet to really use it. Sorry, I cannot be of more help. Now to return to the real life dilemma of finding dd paddock and hunt boots for Pony Club. Why does she have to grow?!!!!

I do not like WA for the grammar years, though I expect to use it for high school. I use WWE instead. I don't use a separate grammar program right now, because we get a good deal of grammar in SWR and WWE. I plan on adding formal grammar in about 4th grade.

That's what we were doing, too. When we were switching to AAS we were going to use FLL but I was going to hold off on it for a little bit and start formal grammar slightly later. Sorry! I know that's not much help. lol

Do you mamas use a separate grammar/language arts curriculum? If so, what do you use? We have been using Shurley Grammar for several years. I feel like it is a comprehensive program that has given my children a good foundation in writing and grammar.

Yes, I use the curriculum in my signature for Language Arts. As someone else said, I don't like WA at this level. If SWB hasn't done a high school program by the time we get there, we'll look at using WA then.

Just popping in to say I love your user name! ;) I have the DE version, but have yet to really use it. Sorry, I cannot be of more help. Now to return to the real life dilemma of finding dd paddock and hunt boots for Pony Club. Why does she have to grow?!!!!

HAHA! I wish I had that problem. I had to sell my 4-legged friends because I can't afford to board them at the moment.

Back to TOG, what is WWE/WWS, SWR, WA, SWB, and FLL?

Back to TOG, what is WWE/WWS, SWR, WA, SWB, and FLL?

WWE - Writing with Ease (for grades 1-4)

WWS - Writing with Skill (for grade 5, following WWE1-4)

SWB - Susan Wise Bauer, the author of The Well-Trained Mind, WWE and WWS, and the host of these forums

FLL - First Language Lessons (grammar program authored by SWB's mother, Jessie Wise)

SWR - Spell to Write and Read

WA - WriteAids, the writing component of TOG