Menu

when to switch from henle to wheelock?

Assuming he will be using lukeion in 6th or 7th, at what point would you switch a 5th grader to Wheelocks ? We are enjoying henle, about one third through, but i know he will transition to an online course fairly soon ....we could start using Wheelocks now, our could he just jump into a 2 nd year Latin course with lukeion having only used henle?

My current 6th grader is presently working through Wheelock. We're only on chapter 2 (second week of school) but it's going fairly well so far. It is tough, that's for sure. Before this we had done other college level texts (with a tutor) and FFL1. No experience with Henle though, sorry. Wanted to share that so far Wheelock has been fairly do-able but we're taking it slow. :) I'm also doing some First Form on the side to keep things lighter and a bit more fun.

We are currently using Wheelock's with Scholar's online for my 13yo and my 10yo. My 10yo did really well with LfCA through Veritas last year (by very well, I mean, it was easy, she never had to study...). My oldest did LfCA 3 years ago and dabbled with LfCB (never finished it).

Wheelock's is tough. However, what makes it tough is the pacing not the material. Most of Wheelock's thus far is a review for my dd (granted, we're only on chapter 2...). My 10yo is not having any issues, other than it is the one subject in which she absolutely *must* work daily in order to keep up with the high-school-level pacing.

Henle is a well known program, and I would expect excellent preparation for Wheelock's. I've always been able to ask the people at VP or Scholar's Online if I had any questions regarding placement. I would expect that Lukeion would be similar. FWIW, my dd is not taking the Scholar's Online class in any official capacity...I think they would look at me a bit like :001_huh: at the thought of my 10yo dd taking the course (they have the course for 13+; VP probably would as well).

You know your child best. If he enjoys Latin, is learning it well, moving through Henle comfortably, he may very well be ready for Wheelocks at 10 or 11. If he does *not* like Latin, or is struggling with it...you may want to consider a different program, or do Wheelock's on your own at a slower pace for a year or two before signing him up.

HTH!

Assuming he will be using lukeion in 6th or 7th, at what point would you switch a 5th grader to Wheelocks ? We are enjoying henle, about one third through, but i know he will transition to an online course fairly soon ....we could start using Wheelocks now, our could he just jump into a 2 nd year Latin course with lukeion having only used henle?

What is your reason for switching him over to Wheelocks?

Both Henle 1&2 and Wheelocks will get you to the same place, i.e., completion of Latin grammar. If Henle is working, why not stay with it? It did the job well here for my Latin scholar. I'm fairly sure that you can find Henle classes offered online, too, if you need to outsource.

The difficulty in switching to Wheelocks midstream and placing your son in an online Latin 2 course after partially completing Henle is that these programs present grammar in different orderings, and they use different vocabularies. If you decide to do so, he would be well-advised to spend time going through the first half of Wheelocks on his own beforehand and learning any words and grammar details that he hadn't been exposed to yet in Henle.

Your ds is quite young, so starting over at the beginning of Wheelocks would be a good idea IMHO for a couple of reasons. One is the pacing issue and high school output demands of an online course with a provider like Lukeion, as Lisa already mentioned. The second is that you have plenty of time and it would be to his advantage to really, really learn Latin well. It gets tough fast! My daughter has thanked me over and over for having her take a slow and steady pace through latin grammar. Btw, she still reached the level where she could read Latin authors comfortably by 10th grade, which left her time to do both AP courses and then some. Now there is only one AP course, so if your son should wish to study Latin all the way through high school, you'd run into the problem of what to do with him before he finished high school. Those are the years where you also have to think about how you're going to document their learning (AP, SAT 2, NLE, or online class grade) for college apps... We managed one extra year on our own, but that was my limit!

If you plan to use Lukeion, then I would do Latin 1 with them, rather than trying to do Latin 1 on your own and then jump into their Latin 2 class. There are kids in the Latin I class with zero Latin background (like my DS) and kids who've had 4-5 years of previous Latin experience, and honestly the latter group do not have that much of an advantage. Lukeion even states on their website that kids with many years of previous Latin study often only have a few months head start over older kids with no prior experience. Frankly, I think that a solid understanding of grammar, the ability to keep up with the pace, and willingness to putting in the time required are more important than prior Latin study.

If you don't already have it, I would recommend that you buy a copy of Wheelocks and look it over yourself — it's only $15 at Amazon. That way you can compare it to Henle and see which format seems better suited to your DS. You can also compare the pace (Lukeion covers the first 20 chapters of Wheelock in Latin 1 and the rest in Latin 2; Latin 3 is Wheelock's Reader and Latin 4 is AP), and decide whether you think he'd be ready to start Lukeion in 6th or 7th.

Jackie

Does your 10 yo enjoy Latin? IOW, would he be motivated to really work at it and put in the hours needed for Wheelock's? If so, then I wouldn't worry so much about his age. There is a gifted 10 yo in Lukeion's Latin 1 this year, who is doing very well — and he did Greek 1 last year as a 9 yo! But he loves languages and is willing to work at it. I think that's really the most important factor.

Jackie

Thanks you all. The reason i was thinking of switching is only because i havent found an online course which uses Henle. I am stumped by Reginal Coeli's site. I dont know how much longer i can keep up with my son, given that i have a you ger who is doing Latin as well.

Memoria Press offers high school level classes that use Henle.

Does your 10 yo enjoy Latin? IOW, would he be motivated to really work at it and put in the hours needed for Wheelock's? If so, then I wouldn't worry so much about his age. There is a gifted 10 yo in Lukeion's Latin 1 this year, who is doing very well — and he did Greek 1 last year as a 9 yo! But he loves languages and is willing to work at it. I think that's really the most important factor.

Jackie

He is willing to work, yes. But he's 10, after all, and there are moments (more lately, it seems!) when his attention is not that focused. Thank you for your advice!

He is willing to work, yes. But he's 10, after all, and there are moments (more lately, it seems!) when his attention is not that focused. Thank you for your advice!

Well, there are MANY moments when my DS's attention is not focused — and given DH's issues in this department, I suspect this will be a lifelong thing. :lol:

Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am at DS's success with Greek & Latin — not something I would have ever foreseen for a dyslexic kid with poor working memory and significant processing/attention issues. But he loves it and he works his butt off, so even though he started Greek last year with very little prep (other than learning the alphabet), and he joined the Latin class at the last minute with zero prep, he's gotten straight As on every quiz & homework. IMHO, a bright kid with a real passion for the subject, and a willingness to work hard, will go far, even with LDs, attention issues, etc.

DD10, on the other hand, likes Latin but isn't passionate about it, and she would definitely not be willing to put in 10 hrs/wk, so we are just working at her pace for now, and she will probably start with Lukeion in 7th or even 8th grade.

Jackie