Menu

Anyone using Killgallon Grammar

UmMusa

Last year I bought Story Grammar for Elementary School and didn't use it, so I was thinking to use this for our grammar, but after looking through it today I'm wondering if you guys used it alone or with something else?

Since we're in 5th grade, I'm in the same pickle as many of you regarding grammar, so it's either this or Hake.

There was a little Killgallon phase sometime last year when everyone seemed to be talking about it, so I'm wondering if anyone used the whole grammar book and liked it?

I haven't used Killgallon, just looked at it, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seemed to me to be more about writing good sentences while touching on parts of speech as relates to writing. For what *I* was looking for, it didn't seem to be enough for grammar. Someone who has actually used it may have a completely different opinion.

We needed a grammar switch as well, and I ended up deciding on Hake.

Last year I bought Story Grammar for Elementary School and didn't use it, so I was thinking to use this for our grammar, but after looking through it today I'm wondering if you guys used it alone or with something else?

Since we're in 5th grade, I'm in the same pickle as many of you regarding grammar, so it's either this or Hake.

There was a little Killgallon phase sometime last year when everyone seemed to be talking about it, so I'm wondering if anyone used the whole grammar book and liked it?

I used it last year with my fifth grader. For a while. He didn't care for it. Said he liked his "other" writing program better. It did seem more about writing than grammar. I thought it would combine the two in an effective way, but it didn't seem to add as much as I had hoped.

Now the Image Grammar I did with my 7th grader DID combine writing and grammar in a way that I think improved his writing. But I don't consider that a stand-alone, either.

I like to alternate Killgallon (which is more applied grammar) with Michael Clay Thompson's LA. I alternate levels, but it would be easy to do them concurrently on alternate days after finishing the initial MCT book (Grammar Town would be the most appropriate for a 5th grader).

I keep waffling about MCT. i think my DD would love it based on w hat I've read and seen on their website. However, I love Writing With Skill and don't want to ditch it. We use Spelling Workout. I would need only the grammar portion and from what I understand, MCT is better when all parts are used rather than just one portion. What do you think? Could i get the grammar town and use it with those other TWTM books?

I keep waffling about MCT. i think my DD would love it based on w hat I've read and seen on their website. However, I love Writing With Skill and don't want to ditch it. We use Spelling Workout. I would need only the grammar portion and from what I understand, MCT is better when all parts are used rather than just one portion. What do you think? Could i get the grammar town and use it with those other TWTM books?

I absolutely think you could get Grammar Town, Practice Town, and Paragraph Town. You would need the "writing" book because 90% of the grammar instruction is actually in that rather than GT. However, you don't have to use the writing assignments if you like WWS better (I actually do as well, though WWS wasn't available until after my DD did PT).

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on MCT, then perhaps KISS Grammar might work to alternate with Killgallon. I haven't personally used KISS but it gets rave reviews from those who have.

I use it between other programs. I think Killgallon is great, but I wouldn't use it with kids who didn't have a strong foundation in more traditional grammar approaches. But after solid grammar instruction in elementary school, alternating less traditional / more creative (yet still rigorous) approaches like Killgallon and MCT with more straightforward approaches like Stewart has worked really well with my kids.

FLL, MCT and WWE.

My kids are quick to grasp a concept but also quick to forget. So the added extra review in different formats seems to help.

I thought for sure my kids knew what subjects and predicates were and they could do it in a worksheet form.

But then when given the Killgallon subjects and predicates practices---they completely forgot or fritzed or something even after reading the parts about subjects and predicates.

So this tells me that subjects and predicates are still not cemented in their little 10yrs old brains yet.

Besides most of the workbooks/worksheets-FLL subject and predicates sentences are very simple with one subject and one predicate. In Killgallon there are multiple.

Killgallon seems to extend the questions asked, kind of how MEP does with math.

I have not seen this subject approached in MCT yet so we will see. I think all of this is giving my kids a clearer picture of the English language.