Menu

Favorite historical fiction read for Rome?

Teresa Hope

How about:

The Capricorn Bracelet by Rosemary Sutcliff - collection of stories following a family of soldiers through 300 year Roman occupation of Britain and Song for a Dark Queen by Rosemary Sutcliff - a story based on the life of Boudicea also set during the Roman occupation of Britain.

Word to Caesar by Geoffrey Trease

Between the Forest and the Hills by Lawrence - fiction set during the later years of Roman Britain

Our children have also learned a fair bit by reading Asterix books for fun (especially about Gaul)

Asterix and Obelix comics are great fun, but may be hard to get.

Detectives in Togas and The Roman Ransom are both very good.

We have especially enjoyed The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence. These must be read in order.

For a much lighter side to things, my kids have greatly enjoyed the Myth-o-Mania series.

http://www.katemcmullan.com/mom01.htm

As you continue with this series, be aware that there are some topics you may not want your children exposed to. Some are veiled and may go over they heads. My 13yo ds told me that as the series progresses, the books become more and more "inappropriate" so I checked it out, and found a reference to homosexuality in the one he was reading.

As you continue with this series, be aware that there are some topics you may not want your children exposed to.
Which series? Not all of us read in threaded mode. :)

I'm confused, too. Which series? I'm still learning how to read threads in the new format.
It's not a question of learning, it's a question of preferences. You can choose how you wish to view threads (in threaded/conversation mode or in chronological order), but no matter which you choose, it's easy to forget that not everyone is seeing post in the same order as you. That's why I usually quote a bit of the text I'm responding to.

Eagle of the Ninth is part of a series of three books that I think he might enjoy very much. Also, for the end of the Roman era, we LOVED The Bronze Bow! Someone also mentioned Masada, and that's another book we loved. It weaves the story of the excavation in with the story of what they suppose went on there during the final days of siege. Wonderful,

Regena

Sorry, I was talking about the Caroline Lawrence series. For example from Fugitive from Corinth, here's an excerpt:

'And why,' said Nubia, 'was Vir in Aristo's bed?'

There was a pause , and then Flavia and Jonathan stared at each other wide-eyed.

'You don't think they were...?' said Jonathan.

'No,' said Flavia, shaking her head. 'Pater only likes women.'

Sorry, I was talking about the Caroline Lawrence series. For example from Fugitive from Corinth, here's an excerpt:
Thanks for the quote -- that's mild enough for our household.

I recommend The Roman Conspiracy by Jack Mitchell for middle school aged kids.