Menu

acne

my 18 year old daughter has acne. Not alot but for an 18 year old SHE thinks it's alot. We have literally tried everything almost. Proactive worked for a few minutes. The clearasil cleaning system worked for a few minutes, Clinique made her break out so badly i thought she had a rash on her face, the cheap walmart stuff worked for a while, cetaphil, she's used tea tree solution and now she's on the Aveda skin care regimine, which is 4 bottles of product at $30 a bottle. I cannot afford that and neither can she BUT....we would make it work if IT worked. She's been on it for about a month now and she still has acne. It's making the look of her skin or the quality of her skin more shiney and smooth but she still has pimples. She is so upset which i'm sure doesn't make it better but i don't blame her...she's in her senior year and 99% of the other girls at her school don't have acne. She does drink coke about 5 times a week (1 bottle a day) but she stopped doing that a few days ago. She takes the zinc pills but not consistently (i'm not sure why she doesn't take them everyday) but i don't know if the zinc will counter act what's in the Aveda. she uses physician's formula make up. She seems to be doing everything right but she still has acne. I told her i would make an appointment with the dermatologist but they'll probably want to put her on some sort of pill that will take months to start working (we've already been down that road) and the the last thing a senior in high school wants to hear about their skin is "it's going to get worse before it gets better". Any one have any suggestions?

Save your time and money and go see a dermatologist.

I can only assume if they put her on a medicine that takes months to start working then try another pill or another dermatologist. My son's skin began to clear within 2 weeks.

I spent about 18 years at the dermatologist office and there is no way I would have waited months to see results.

I've battled acne for years. I recently found that taking bread out of my diet helps my face. No idea if it would have helped all this time, or if it will continue to help, but it's produced dramatic results. Also, using occupant oil (both as a moisturizer and as a supplement) helped skin tone.

As for a face cleanser, Walmart makes a generic (equate, not great value) version of Proactive. You can at first buy the whole kit with all 3 steps. What is nice is that you can also buy each individual step alone, (and they are pretty inexpensive) so when you use up all the cleanser, you can buy just cleanser. When I was on Proactive, you had to buy the whole kit each time, but I didn't go through the toner and lotion as fast as I did the cleanser, so I always had a TON of them piled up. lol

I have struggled with acne since I was in 5th grade, particularly hormonal b/c it is worse right before my period. This is THE. BEST. stuff I have found for my particular acne. I still get break outs during that time of the month, but they are far less severe than they were before.