Menu

What book series is to logic stage science what Magic School Bus was to elementary?

We like the Story of Science, although it's not a story like MSB.

I have not read Horrible Science books, but the Horrible History and Murderous Maths books are very good. You might be able to use those for entertainment alongside something else.

I looked up "living science books middle school" on amazon and got a list someone compiled for bio.

I hope someone else chimes in with exactly what you want.

We like the Story of Science, although it's not a story like MSB.

We do, too. My dd13 looks forward to reading them when I assign them and even reads ahead.

I also really like the Chicago Review Press series that has a few science titles. Here is a link to the Galileo book. There is also an Isaac Newton book, Albert Einstein, Darwin, Exploring the Solar System, Leonardo da Vinci, Archaeology for Kids, Thomas Edison, and Charting the World. Those are just the science titles, there are plenty more. They say that they have 21 activities in them, and they look like good activities, but are by no means necessary to do. They are beautifully illustrated and are on good quality paper.

There are also several good biographies that I really like. I think that as the kids get older the topics can get more blurred - a book may be about both math and science or science and history, but they are still getting a lot of science out of them. This approach, along with BFSU, is working very well for us so far.

I love the Alvin and Virginia Silverstein science books. They are truly engaging. I was hooked with "Life in a Bucket of Soil".

Here is a list of titles:

http://www.amazon.com/Virginia-B.-Silverstein/e/B001IODL30

I agree with the PP on the Chicago Review Press titles too. We're doing the Isaac Newton one in 2013.

Max Axiom!

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Graphic_Novels_Science_s/354.htm

For our Science Spine we have switched to Galore Park this year

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/product/home_schoolers/56/so-you-really-want-to-learn-science-book-1.html

We get it through Horrible Ray. It is a text, but it is fun while being challenging. You can look at the table of contents and a sample chapter on the site.

Ds and I really enjoying the Stop Faking It series. I find it to be perfect spine for logic stage - engaging, funny, with plenty of experiments. Click on "Read Inside" to see a sample. Thanks to cschnee for the recommendation!

Okay, this looks like such a fun resource, because yeah, I need more resources! I think my ds11 would have a blast with this!