Menu

Anyone tried Spell by Color?

VeritasMama

I found this free online, I was wondering if anyone has used it? I love AAS, but my son hates the tiles. I don't know how I ended up with a son who loves workbooks, but that is his style. I am looking for a workbook approach with solid phonics and rule based instruction. We are using My Catholic Speller from CHC, but I want something closer to AAS. I was wondering if this would fit the bill.

Anybody used this? Do you think it would be a good replacement for AAS?

I am the creator so I won't try to comment (not being the most objective source ;)), but I have noticed that it has received a number of pins on pinterest. I don't use the site so am not exactly sure how it works but here's a link to a summary page of pins in case that is of any help:

http://pinterest.com/source/jettedgames.com/

I do also know that there is a WTM Hive member who has it listed in her by line...

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about the program that I can answer.

My own son was writing-resistant, which was why I designed the program with limited writing being required. Since I know some people either want or need more time spent on writing the words, I added comments that you can have your child copy the rule words from the lesson separately if desired.

I would love feedback on this point, though. Would it be of interest for me to, rather than just suggesting copy time if desired, add another page to each of the lessons listing rule words for copy practice?

I haven't used it. But it looks interesting. I printed off a few worksheets and am going to put into his "independent" folder for a sort of review to AAS. He likes AAS well enough but I feel like he is memorizing their specific words. He'll memorize their rules, as well, but he doesn't apply them outside to other subjects like writing or dictating.

Thanks for sharing. Free is always nice.

Also, thanks to you too jetted4 for providing and sharing your labors of love.

Dd used this briefly before the most recent update. I thought the use of colors might be fun and a good way for her to remember the different spelling rules. But as we went on, I found I had problems remembering what each of the colors was suppose to be. I think there's a legend on the worksheets to help with that now. I also found that it focused more on the rules and not so much on lists. In that respect, it compliments SWO well (which I find introduces words but is lacking on actually teaching/reviewing rules). If I were to do do it again, I probably try to sync SBC up with SWO. We stopped using it because I also have How To Teach Spelling and am planning to transition the monkeys to it once they complete SWO. However, I have kept SBC in case a review of the rules is needed.

It is a fun resource, well put together and you certainly can't beat the price. :) I used level 1 with my 6 year old and enjoyed it - I would recommend it!. I wanted something a bit more scripted so we're doing AAS right now, but depending on learning styles of my younger ones I may come back to this program in the future.

My own son was writing-resistant, which was why I designed the program with limited writing being required. Since I know some people either want or need more time spent on writing the words, I added comments that you can have your child copy the rule words from the lesson separately if desired.

I would love feedback on this point, though. Would it be of interest for me to, rather than just suggesting copy time if desired, add another page to each of the lessons listing rule words for copy practice?

oh, my dd HATES writing! the problem we had was she seemed to learn the rules and be able to pick them out on the worksheets, but was unable to transfer and APPLY them in her own writing. in that respect, maybe a word list (to be done orally, in our case) would be helpful. do you have any other suggestions for application/reversal?

oh, my dd HATES writing! the problem we had was she seemed to learn the rules and be able to pick them out on the worksheets, but was unable to transfer and APPLY them in her own writing. in that respect, maybe a word list (to be done orally, in our case) would be helpful. do you have any other suggestions for application/reversal?

Interesting. I have heard that same issue mentioned about many of the well liked spelling programs...gets me thinking. I'll have to mull over it a bit and see if there's anything else besides adding a word list testing day that would help with the transfer of knowledge.

I know with SBC, when my dd9 doesn't know how to spell a word and I know that one of the rules applies, I just ask him to cycle through the colors (orally) and see if he can figure out which rule or rules apply. That almost always does it. Since colors are easy to remember, once the color is linked to a particular rule in his mind I have found that just having him rattle off red, blue, yellow...is enough to trigger the connection.

I'll still give it some thought and see if there are any other techniques that come to mind.

We are using Spell By Color with my 7 year old "second grader". It is an understatement to say how much he enjoys his spelling work! :)

Last week we did Week 4: hard vs soft g

I am thinking we need to go back to Weeks 1 & 2 and review the words for those rules. He loves to write, so do we go back and have him copy down each of the spelling words and their exceptions?

My son understands the rules but when he did Week 3: Review of Weeks 1 & 2, he had trouble being able to spell the words by himself(forgetting to put an silent e at the end of the words/not understanding when to use double consonants)

He really does enjoy this program and I'd say the colors are a big hit here, seems to add fun to the lessons. Hey even I'm learning along side him. :D

Momof4monkeys, I am delighted to hear that your son enjoys the lessons. :)

(thank you to everyone else, also, for your compliments)

. He loves to write, so do we go back and have him copy down each of the spelling words and their exceptions?

If writing isn't a stumbling block, then after your child finishes color coding the sentences, having him/her write down the current rule words and any exceptions from the lesson or picking other words that fit the rule (either same day or next day) is another level of reinforcement that can definitely help with remembering the rules/spellings.

Or...for an auditory learner, asking him/her to spell a few words that use the rule out loud would be an option as angelmama (?) suggested.

Another poster commented that transfer of knowledge beyond the actual lesson doesn't really kick in until around ages 9-10. Since your son is 7, that may mean he'll understand the material while doing the lessons, but it could take some time before he's developmentally ready to transfer that knowledge outside of the lessons...

Momof4monkeys, I am delighted to hear that your son enjoys the lessons. :)

(thank you to everyone else, also, for your compliments)

If writing isn't a stumbling block, then after your child finishes color coding the sentences, having him/her write down the current rule words and any exceptions from the lesson or picking other words that fit the rule (either same day or next day) is another level of reinforcement that can definitely help with remembering the rules/spellings.

Or...for an auditory learner, asking him/her to spell a few words that use the rule out loud would be an option as angelmama (?) suggested.

Another poster commented that transfer of knowledge beyond the actual lesson doesn't really kick in until around ages 9-10. Since your son is 7, that may mean he'll understand the material while doing the lessons, but it could take some time before he's developmentally ready to transfer that knowledge outside of the lessons...

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great comments everyone, and thank you Andrea for creating and sharing this great program :). I am really excited to be using level one, I hope you will continue to create further levels.

We have been using this for two weeks now, my son is really enjoying it. It has been very open and go for me, which is a huge plus. My son has remembered the rules so far, and I love the fact that we have reviewed all of the rules every day. I am also using the CHC spelling book, which has a weekly phonetic spelling list. He copies the CHC word list twice a week, and we do dictation with the words twice a week, and I have my son write the word and them spell it out loud for me.

I think that SBC could be a stand alone program if it also incorporated a weekly word list for copywork and dictation. My ideal word list would be based on the rule that week, but also incorporate some words grouped phonetically.

I found some erasable colored pencils from Crayola at Walmart which we are using. They have an eraser on the end just like a regular pencil, and they are perfect for my perfectionist son.

Thanks again Andrea! I am so excited you are on the board, I will definately be picking your brain as more questions pop up.

I am glad that SBC is working well for you so far. :)

I will look at putting together weekly word lists as you suggested.

Also, I just found out about a free dictation resource that has the quotes grouped by spelling rule, so I am planning create a few supplementary weeks of dictation to spread through the program. I should have it available before mid-October.

On crayons vs colored pencils: Given the number of distinct colors you will need to use by the end of year one, it would be better to use crayons instead of colored pencils, if possible (also, I switch to colored pencils for the 2nd half of Y2 b/c the lessons there differ in format, so using them for Y1 could potentially add some confusion). A 64-box of crayons provides all of the distinct crayon colors that are needed by Y1 and Y2.

What about putting the lesson inside a clear plastic sheet protector and having him use the crayons on the sheet protector? I haven't tried this idea, but I am thinking it might wash off so that it would be reusable...

I am glad that SBC is working well for you so far. :)

I will look at putting together weekly word lists as you suggested.

Also, I just found out about a free dictation resource that has the quotes grouped by spelling rule, so I am planning create a few supplementary weeks of dictation to spread through the program. I should have it available before mid-October.

On crayons vs colored pencils: Given the number of distinct colors you will need to use by the end of year one, it would be better to use crayons instead of colored pencils, if possible (also, I switch to colored pencils for the 2nd half of Y2 b/c the lessons there differ in format, so using them for Y1 could potentially add some confusion). A 64-box of crayons provides all of the distinct crayon colors that are needed by Y1 and Y2.

What about putting the lesson inside a clear plastic sheet protector and having him use the crayons on the sheet protector? I haven't tried this idea, but I am thinking it might wash off so that it would be reusable...

I'll try the sheet protector, that may help. I'll admit I only looked at the rules that are taught, I didn't pay attention to the actual colors. The dictation resource sounds great, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks again for all your hard work and generosity!