Menu

Moms of Eagle Scouts - any advice

Ds3 is having his Eagle BOR on Sunday afternoon. It looks like he has all his ducks in a row, but I'm wondering if you ever encountered a surprise? I'm all atwitter with anxiety; I even dreamed about it last night - I was running in circles trying to remember things we forgot :tongue_smilie:

Helpful advice? for me? for him?

Congrats! My son is about 6 moonths- 1 year away from his...

I have a friend who does Eagle BOR's and he promised me that it's not too bad. :D He's known as one of the most difficult one's but he's not too bad. The only thing he ALWAYS asks is medical stuff. The medical of how to treat for broken bones, burns, etc... both from the boy scout book AND the mb requirements. His reasoning is that it could save a life. He doesn't require word-for-word answer, just a general knowledge.

They ask alot about community service, about their future plans, about religious subjects (duty to God)...

He also does a uniform inspection. So make sure all the patches are sewn on. He once denied an eagle because a boy showed up with a bunch of patches in his pocket. (rank, position, etc...)

Posture is important (no slouching, mumbling), and of course they always like it when people say Yes, Sir; Yes, Ma'am... (something my son cannot seem to remember to do when nervous)

Do a google search for Eagle BOR questions. He told me that what you find on google searches is identical to what they usually ask.

It's a conversation. Don't answer just "yes" or "no", but take the opportunity to elaborate. They are likely to take the info from the personal statement, combined with the Eagle project, to have a conversation focusing on the scout's time in scouting, and looking to the future as to both how scouting will help him as he goes down his chosen path, and how he can help scouting.

Prepare, but don't stress.

Be who you are, and be that well.

I haven't been there yetvso I cannot offer advice.

Congratulations to your DS for making it this far. I wish him the best of luck, although he probably won't need it.

:D

Have you thought about his Eagle Court of Honor yet? I have heard some of those are equivalent to small wedding receptions. How's that for provoking anxiety?

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I'm so excited for him and, while he is trying to be nonchalant about it, I know he is thrilled, too. We've looked over the websites linked and I think that has helped him as to what to expect. His sash has all his patches and his shirt is in good shape. The pants may be a tad short, but they'll have to do :)

As far as a COH, we don't do anything special as a troop. We leave it up to the family. Many of our scouts have opted not to have any ceremony which I think is a bit of a shame. It can be so motivating for the younger scouts. Our troop is so small that we typically only have one Eagle a year, in a good year :). This ds has requested to have a BBQ at our home...that will be pretty simple and low key. Shoot, we had the wedding here in June, so I should be able to pull off something in October pretty easily :)

Now I have to get the last one motivated. I need to sit down with him and a calendar and help him plot his time and goals. We did this with ds3 and it worked beautifully especially since they were getting so involved in other activities.

All the supplies for my ds's project were delivered today. Now I'm nervous. He's my Aspie. There is no having a conversation with him. Yikes! Hope he gets through this.

He will be just fine. Can't wait to see your post in a few weeks about your DS's EBOR.

Next Saturday is my DS's first work day. He will be guiding volunteers in tagging invasive trees for removal from a 5 acre tract at a local nature center. Oncetagged all of the trees will be removed, and either cut and stacked in the camping area, mulched or burned.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I'm so excited for him and, while he is trying to be nonchalant about it, I know he is thrilled, too. Don't you love how boys try to act like nothing phases them? We've looked over the websites linked and I think that has helped him as to what to expect. His sash has all his patches and his shirt is in good shape. The pants may be a tad short, but they'll have to do :)

As far as a COH, we don't do anything special as a troop. We leave it up to the family. Many of our scouts have opted not to have any ceremony which I think is a bit of a shame. It can be so motivating for the younger scouts. Our troop is so small that we typically only have one Eagle a year, in a good year :). This ds has requested to have a BBQ at our home...that will be pretty simple and low key. I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. Shoot, we had the wedding here in June, so I should be able to pull off something in October pretty easily :) I'll bet you a Mounds bar that you find yourself doing more than you think you will. You have residual wedding planning neurotransmitters floating around in your brain, waiting for a time such as this.

Now I have to get the last one motivated. I need to sit down with him and a calendar and help him plot his time and goals. We did this with ds3 and it worked beautifully especially since they were getting so involved in other activities.

I totally understand this.

Have you thought about his Eagle Court of Honor yet? I have heard some of those are equivalent to small wedding receptions. How's that for provoking anxiety?

:iagree:

You are SO not kidding. There were 5 other boys with my son for his CoH - the first meeting, they're all "chocolate fountain" and "invitations" and "tablescapes"

:001_huh:

Crazy. But seriously - my ds's BOR was not an anxiety-provoking event. He didn't even mention that it was difficult. Hope it goes well!

All the supplies for my ds's project were delivered today. Now I'm nervous. He's my Aspie. There is no having a conversation with him. Yikes! Hope he gets through this.

As long as everyone is informed along the way, such as those who don't normally work with him at the district level, he'll be fine. Our Scoutmaster made sure they all knew a little bit about Aspergers before they talked to my son, throughout the entire process.

I do want to say that I think Eagles need to have CsoH. It really isn't about them (or shouldn't be) but be about everyone who got him there. It's a time to give back to the troop--the other boys and the Scouters. We had to force ds to have one, but finally got through to him, that one of the reasons that he made Eagle was the day at our hired man's CoH. Ds told me that day--I'm going to make it. The CoH is to inspire the younger boys.

Yes. This.

It was a wonderful time of celebration and encouragement for the younger scouts, and a great milestone in my ds's life.