Menu

FINALLY found something ds will read, but can't get too excited

mothergooseof4

Ds 10yo has struggled with reading. I taught him with O-G methods and we have gone over phonics so many times I can't stand it nor can he. He is an excellent speller, though a perfectionist and can get frustrated if he doesn't get the words right the first time (he's this way with everything though). He does copywork perfectly. All of that to say, I don't think we are dealing with a LD or vision issue.

I think this ds just isn't interested in reading, so he has never gone beyond sounding things out and being ABLE to read, to actually reading. I have tried science books because he loves animals. I have tried multiple boy books...Encyclopedia Brown, Hank the Cowdog, and I even tried Captain Underpants out of desperation. And, yes, I read aloud all of the time.

Last night we were at Barnes and Noble and I told him he could pick a book. I tried to direct him to How to Train Your Dragon because I thought he would like it. But no, he wants Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I didn't want my kids to even watch the movie, but they saw it at someone's house. After wondering around the store trying to get him to choose something else, he insisted that this was what he wanted. So, I told him he could have it if he promised to read it.

I haven't been able to get him to put it down since. He is on page sixty-something. I am delighted that he is reading and I hope this is what finally convinces him that reading is fun, but how I wish it were something without all of the middle school social junk. Oh well, I will even buy the rest if he actually reads them.

Any recommendations for other books that might appeal to him, but not be too hard? He is not ready for a lot of the books that I see in lit. packs for his grade level (4).

Dragonbreath series, Nerds 1 and 2, Fart Powder (can you TELL my oldest two are boys??)...my boys ages 9 and 12 love all of those. :) And, Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (the books anyway) really aren't that bad. I've read some of them and seen several of the movies. There are worse things. :) If they make him read, let him read them!

Of course, they will go straight for whatever you forbid!!

My son HATED the droon series, i had to FORCE him to get through it, and that was with me reading it . . he wont read it at all

My reluctant reader has been really liking kid manga, which they have a section of at the library.

Thank you all. I have worried about this guy so much. He seems to struggle so much with reading, but assures me it is easier when he reads to himself. But, he never CHOOSES to read. He has known all of the phonograms for years and spells perfectly with them. Sure, he needs to be reminded at times which phonogram to use for a certain sound such as which long E. He breaks words into syllables to spell them. He never reverses letters and can copy from a sheet directly in front of him or the whiteboard perfectly. Reading has been a different issue. I keep researching and he doesn't seem to fit any of the typical "issues" that are normal when they aren't reading well at this age.

I really think he just has never crossed that point of fluency. He is such a perfectionist that I think it affects his reading. If a word doesn't sound exactly like something he is familiar with, he gets frustrated and won't try to move on. If he makes a couple of mistakes while reading, he is done and forcing the issue just causes things to get worse. I know this is typical because both of my other kids have done it. They just didn't get upset over it and would keep going. Eventually, fluency has come and their vocabulary and pronunciation grow and the books get more advanced. But, this one's perfectionism seems to have hindered this process. I have spent so much time praying over this guy.

So, if this is what gets him reading, I will let him read them. He is walking around with the book in his hand and sits down for 15-20 minutes at a time to read. Then wonders around a bit telling me what he has just read, and then he starts another round. I told him we could go to the library and find the remainder of the series or other books that might interest him, but he informed me that he wants to own his books.

I'd not hesitate to get the whole of a series when a child is on a roll with it. It helps build the abilities that then can make something else easier. Also if something is referred to in one book, that may lead to other books as the next thing. (I don't know if that happens in D. Wimpy Kid.)

Possibly asking what about D. Wimpy Kid he likes could be of help to figure out what else might be next. If it is the cartoon aspect, that might lead in one direction, but if it is the type of social situations that might lead in another.

Sometimes it does help kids to see a movie first. If so you could look for things that lend themselves to that.

Last year I gave my son $20 to get whatever he wanted at a Scholastic Book Fair. He got 3 books, only one of which so far has been completely read. But all of which were good choices for his level of reading, and by opening and looking at first page he had a sense of what he might like (as most of us likely did before online buying)--what was already hooking him right there in the store.

The book he did finish was the first of the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. By the end of summer he had read everything for children by Rick Riordan that is out, and is waiting for the next book in one of the still incomplete series to be released. In that process, he went from being a reader when required to read, to being a reader who loves to read.

Similarly, neighbor friends are reading the Harry Potter books and Star Wars books. Harry Potter would be above the level for your son, but Star Wars books span a very great range of reading levels, and can be helpful, if they hook a child (which might be helped by seeing a movie of it).

One can argue that any of these may not be great books--but I see nothing so bad about any of them (D. Wimpy Kid included) to avoid them if the child will read them. If there are things you find objectionable in his choice, like the middle school milieu, it might be a chance to discuss his and your feelings about that.

I'd say, celebrate this milestone, and go with it! And possibly consider letting him also find his own next book series after D. Wimpy Kid. Once he is done with that he may be at a much higher reading level than he is now.

Also, once he is reading really well and happily, working toward "literature" that you'd prefer makes more sense to me.

I'd not hesitate to get the whole of a series when a child is on a roll with it. It helps build the abilities that then can make something else easier. Also if something is referred to in one book, that may lead to other books as the next thing. (I don't know if that happens in D. Wimpy Kid.)

Possibly asking what about D. Wimpy Kid he likes could be of help to figure out what else might be next. If it is the cartoon aspect, that might lead in one direction, but if it is the type of social situations that might lead in another.

Sometimes it does help kids to see a movie first. If so you could look for things that lend themselves to that.

Last year I gave my son $20 to get whatever he wanted at a Scholastic Book Fair. He got 3 books, only one of which so far has been completely read. But all of which were good choices for his level of reading, and by opening and looking at first page he had a sense of what he might like (as most of us likely did before online buying)--what was already hooking him right there in the store.

The book he did finish was the first of the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. By the end of summer he had read everything for children by Rick Riordan that is out, and is waiting for the next book in one of the still incomplete series to be released. In that process, he went from being a reader when required to read, to being a reader who loves to read.

Similarly, neighbor friends are reading the Harry Potter books and Star Wars books. Harry Potter would be above the level for your son, but Star Wars books span a very great range of reading levels, and can be helpful, if they hook a child (which might be helped by seeing a movie of it).

One can argue that any of these may not be great books--but I see nothing so bad about any of them (D. Wimpy Kid included) to avoid them if the child will read them. If there are things you find objectionable in his choice, like the middle school milieu, it might be a chance to discuss his and your feelings about that.

I'd say, celebrate this milestone, and go with it! And possibly consider letting him also find his own next book series after D. Wimpy Kid. Once he is done with that he may be at a much higher reading level than he is now.

Also, once he is reading really well and happily, working toward "literature" that you'd prefer makes more sense to me.

Yes, I was hoping the fact that he had watched How to Train Your Dragon would spark interest in those books, but he didn't even give them a second look. And, my oldest owns all of the Rick Riordan books and has read them several times. I have read them. We are both eagerly awaiting the release of Mark of Athena on October 2 (Can you tell how eager?). But, they are above my 10yo for now. I am hoping that maybe he will get into reading and then his brother can inspire him to read them. I don't see them as twaddle because we both learned much more about mythology than we ever learned from any of our history studies. Discussions are sparked almost every time we see references to mythology all around us that we used to miss.

My prior post crossed with this one of yours.

So, if this is what gets him reading, I will let him read them. He is walking around with the book in his hand and sits down for 15-20 minutes at a time to read. Then wonders around a bit telling me what he has just read, and then he starts another round.

Wonderful!!! Reading and narration! And you get to learn that his comprehension is fine too. Once he has read the whole thing, if he'd be willing to read at least parts out loud to you, that can help catch reading errors that improve fluency. If it would dampen his enthusiasm I'd let it be though.

I told him we could go to the library and find the remainder of the series or other books that might interest him, but he informed me that he wants to own his books.

Mine likes to own his too when possible--and likes then new if possible not used (partly related to allergies and not wanting things that have residue of smoke or fragrances). But we sometimes use the library for trying out new books/series. I think the ownership of the physical book is somehow in part related to the sense of ownership of the reading, and also maybe a sense of comfort cuddling up with it. It becomes a friend rather than a stranger. This has to be reasonable with finances though. But if you can swing it, try to do so. When I gave my son the money and let him choose, it was partly so he could have practice managing the money, figuring out the change and so on, but I also think it helped to let him know that books are often not cheap. Possibly you could work out a book budget with your ds and have it also be a math and economics learning situation.

Any recommendations for other books that might appeal to him, but not be too hard? He is not ready for a lot of the books that I see in lit. packs for his grade level (4).

I'm not sure of the reading level, but for some fun, quirky, interesting history books for a 10yo, I would suggest Horrible Histories by Terry Deary. My dd reads those over & over, giggling the whole time.

My prior post crossed with this one of yours.

Wonderful!!! Reading and narration! And you get to learn that his comprehension is fine too. Once he has read the whole thing, if he'd be willing to read at least parts out loud to you, that can help catch reading errors that improve fluency. If it would dampen his enthusiasm I'd let it be though.

Mine likes to own his too when possible--and likes then new if possible not used (partly related to allergies and not wanting things that have residue of smoke or fragrances). But we sometimes use the library for trying out new books/series. I think the ownership of the physical book is somehow in part related to the sense of ownership of the reading, and also maybe a sense of comfort cuddling up with it. It becomes a friend rather than a stranger. This has to be reasonable with finances though. But if you can swing it, try to do so. When I gave my son the money and let him choose, it was partly so he could have practice managing the money, figuring out the change and so on, but I also think it helped to let him know that books are often not cheap. Possibly you could work out a book budget with your ds and have it also be a math and economics learning situation.

I don't know that I will ask him to read any aloud for a while. He gets really frustrated reading aloud. I also told him that he could ask me for help with a word and I wouldn't make it into a lesson. This is really hard for me because I want him to break them up and sound them out. I know he can. But, the few times he has asked about a word, I just tell it to him and send him on.

He has plenty of money if he wants to buy the next book. He is my money saver. I typically split the cost of books with my oldest so I will offer the same for this one, too. Of course, I surprise them with books for gifts or just because at times, too.

He actually just asked me if he has enough money to buy a Kindle so he can get the rest of the series on it. He does, but these are not on the Kindle. Too bad!

Yes, I was hoping the fact that he had watched How to Train Your Dragon would spark interest in those books, but he didn't even give them a second look. And, my oldest owns all of the Rick Riordan books and has read them several times. I have read them. We are both eagerly awaiting the release of Mark of Athena on October 2 (Can you tell how eager?). But, they are above my 10yo for now. I am hoping that maybe he will get into reading and then his brother can inspire him to read them. I don't see them as twaddle because we both learned much more about mythology than we ever learned from any of our history studies. Discussions are sparked almost every time we see references to mythology all around us that we used to miss.

Yep. That's the one we're waiting for too. And we also learned a lot--had an excursion into child versions of Iliad and Odyssey along the way and so on. Plus history at least so far as looking up siege weapons goes.

But you might find things in D. Wimpy Kid that also end up seeming like more than first meets the eye if you find out why he likes it so much. Something is sparking that interest. It may be that he has feelings that somehow relate (younger brother? heading into similar age range and issues?)--something is making him love it. Even if you don't like the books, learning what that something is might make you feel differently about them or see them in a new light. ...Or not. ;)

For D. Wimpy Kid, all we did do was see one movie: it made for some interesting discussions about the nature of friendships--what was really "cool" vs. trying to be "cool" (or "in" or whatever term one wants) and actually ending up acting like a jerk and so on.

ETA: I didn't think it was so bad, in that it got at things that I think a lot of children struggle with, in ways they could relate to and at a fairly accessible reading level. The main character (and lots of the kids at the school and the main character's brother) were acting like jerks...but then at the end, the main character did something that was heroic on an everyday level that can really be the sort of situation a kid would face in real life. In that way, I could count it as not being lesser than the Riordan books, because it shows something very hard to do that was important. Being there for a friend (especially after having let him down previously) is a very real form of heroism--while the sword fights version of heroism are not so common these days. I don't know how the books are in that regard, but you might want to have a look from that pov and see what you think.

(My son also kind of liked the Zoobreak group of books which may be at a more similar reading level to D. Wimpy Kid. )

All of these books have strong "good" vs. "evil" types of themes whether in more realistic everyday middle school setting, or in a more imaginative and mythic landscape, and I think that those are themes that children of this age are really grappling with.

Edited by Pen