Menu

Dr. Hive: Care to Weigh In About My Symptoms?

It's ridiculously humid here, and yesterday afternoon I had the feeling that it was catching up with me-- the beginnings of sinus pain, etc. I went to bed with a bad headache last night but didn't take my usual Excedrine Migraine because I didn't want all that caffeine before I went to bed. At about 2 am I woke out of a sound sleep with a HORRENDOUS headache. The worst I've EVER had. I had to wake up dh to go get me some excedrine, but they didn't work. I mean I was crying, vomiting and really wanting to DIE. Dh wanted to take me to the hospital but honestly, I couldn't have stood the ride.

I finally took a vicodin out of desperation and it kicked the headache enough so I could fall back into a stuporous sleep. I woke at 7, got Molly off to school and drove an hour to work. All day I've been feeling "off." Kind of nauseous, but driving I felt like I was carsick, but I was driving, and I've never gotten carsick as a driver.

I'm about to go home early because I'm really not feeling well at all--- and with such a long drive on my own, I"m thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to drive.

Do you think this seems like a migraine? Or some sort of virus? Or high blood pressure? I have no history of HBP, but anything's possible....

Bleh.

astrid

Sounds like a migraine to me.

:iagree:

Ds10's doctor told us that if he was indeed having migraines, and not just bad headaches, that regular OTC stuff wouldn't make them go away (I don't know if this included the migraine Excedrin or not, since it's got aspirin in it so I'm guessing it's not recommended for kids). Ds10 has to take maxalt to get them to go away. When he gets a migraine, he vomits and screams and cries from the pain and from fear that his head will actually explode. He's got arthritis and chronic headaches as well, so he knows pain. His migraines are the only thing that cause that kind of reaction.

I don't know. Dd had a virus last week that lasted all week. She was on the maximum dose of ibuprofen around the clock and there were times it didn't touch her headache. Three of us had this virus to different degrees, we all had the headache but dd had it the worst. She is prone to headaches.

We all had body aches and fatigue and sore throats, too, but all a little differently. I felt mostly off with headache and sore thighs. ??

It sounds like a migraine to me. Dd4 gets them (they are awful to watch). My rule of thumb with sickness is that if it lasts more than 48 hours we call the doctor or go to the ER, although with a headache I may be more cautious. (We have serious chronic illness here with two of our kids.)

Please go in. If it is the worst headache you have ever had with no prior history of migraine I would take you in to the ER . Please have yourself checked if it is persisting. This can be a warning sign of stroke. Or high blood pressure with a stroke in the making. My dh nearly died die to hbpressure and our only sign was an unrelenting headache. He is fine now. He takes a pill a day, watches his salt and all is well. :)

Please go in. If it is the worst headache you have ever had with no prior history of migraine I would take you in to the ER .

This -- it can be sign of aneurysm too (did I spell that right?).

Yes, you always go to ER if you have "the worst headache of your life."

Sounds a lot like a migraine though. But, if something burst in there, you do want to know about it.