Menu

Cuisenaire Rods?

Spy Car

Sorry this is so mundane, but I'm going to need some Cuisenaire Rods and I see there are wood, plastic and "interlocking" sets. Any thoughts on one vs another. I intend to use these with Miquon (and Singapore if needed).

A "plastic" set of 155 is available "in-store" locally, are these fine or should I mail-order something different?

Bill (who tends to "over-think" his purchases)

I debated the same issue before purchasing (for the same math programs). I ended up choosing the "plastic" tub of 155 because of the same reason (it was available locally). I imagine the interlocking ones might be nice, but I don't think they're necessary. We're doing just fine with the big tub of plastic ones.

As an aside, the more math manipulatives I see, the more I wish someone would just write a math program to use with legos, since they are they ultimate math manipulative by nature :cool:

We have a wood set. I rationalized that they will last longer. Who knows? I don't think it really matters. I would think interlocking blocks would annoy me:confused: Although I would certainly buy a lego curriculum! How is that for a concise and sensible answer?:lol:

• 1 month later...
Sorry this is so mundane, but I'm going to need some Cuisenaire Rods and I see there are wood, plastic and "interlocking" sets. Any thoughts on one vs another. I intend to use these with Miquon (and Singapore if needed).

A "plastic" set of 155 is available "in-store" locally, are these fine or should I mail-order something different?

Bill (who tends to "over-think" his purchases)

Which one's did you end up getting and do you like them? :)

In case anyone else is still facing this decision (I'm so relieved I'm not the only one who stays up at night worried about things like this ha ha), here are my thoughts.

We have two sets of each kind, but we use them differently.

The wood ones are classic, and will probably last forever. There are no lines on them to mark the quantity of the rod, so you just have to memorize them by color (easier for my kids than me) or make a staircase with them, glue it together, and label them. I use the wood ones for our workbooks that use the rods to make pictures and letters (they fit into the outlines better).

I prefer the plastic interlocking ones for teaching a concept because they have marks on them for the quantity (ie the yellow 5 rod looks like 5 little yellow ones stuck together). It makes larger numbers easier to work with when they are locked together, such as making 3 twelves, then sticking them all together, then transferring them to the measuring thing to see the stick is 36 long.

I've used both with Miquon -- the wood ones if we are placing them on the page into an outline shape, and the interlocking if we are working on the table. Personally, I'd go with whatever is cheaper or easier to get.

I have both the plastic interlocking and the wood ones. I like the wood for the tactile feedback -- nicer than plastic. The plastic do have the grooves, as pp said.

The fact that the plastic snap together is problematic if your child has any delays in fine muscle control -- it's just an extra barrier to learning. (Of course, you could also argue that it was a plus because of the extra small muscle exercise.)

The Cuisinaire manual I have suggests having kids spend some time memorizing what color goes with what number. Not for us -- I just label the rods.

An accessory I love is a grooved number line thingy from Rainbow Resource for putting the rods in.

All in all, I think it's a matter of personal preference.