Menu

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Hive Mind I need your help. My blog has not been doing well and I am trying to figure out what you guys look for when you visit a blog. I have added pictures and have also been trying to post plans more. At the suggestion I have also been working on grammar and spelling more and am slowly getting better emphasis on the slowly. So I was wondering what you guys look for in a blog.

Thanks for your time!

ps. I will disappear after this post :001_smile:

What are your goals for your blog? Who are you trying to target for your audience?

It seems that popular blogs now are very focused with widespread appeal. People who used to spend time reading and writing blogs have instead gravitated to FB and Twitter. The only blogs I read with any regularity are those of a select few good friends, and even then, I catch up every few months.

I only look for blogs when I am looking for specific information or motivation.

For example, when I am focusing on finances I'll check out getrichslowly, thesimpledollar, etc.

If I am focusing on simplicity and minimalism I'll look at missminimalist, zenhabits, etc.

If I am focusing on cooking and eating clean, I'll check out kitchenstewardship, thegraciouspantry, etc.

On and on. I become a semi-regular reader for awhile, then when I've reached my saturation point on that topic I will disappear for awhile until that topic once again becomes my focus.

Yep, please pop a link in your siggy. I'm too lazy to copy and paste the blog address most of the time (although I'm about to make a special effort just for you!) Or come and comment on my blog. I usually check out blogs of people who say hi on mine.

ETA: If you enable comments, I could post a comment about how much I liked your dusky dolphin drawing ;)

Edited by Hotdrink

I just posted on another "help me with my blog thread" -- I'm on a critique roll now!

I see a lot of blogs via Pinterest links. The ones I actually stay at and read, vs just seeing if they have instructions or a recipe generally have at least some of the following:

Eye-catching Title Font & Picture

Less paragraph text and more white space between (I find myself skimming otherwise)

Allow comments (not that I always do)

Pictures but not too many

Day in the life posts OR how-to

You've got a really unique situation and a lot of potential readers. I'd love to load my kids into a travel trailer or mobile home and just GO. Actually, I'd rather it be a sailboat, but until then, I'd like to read about your adventures.

Maybe you could do a WTM post giving a little background about your family and invite people to ask questions, which over the course of the next year (assuming you get a lot!), you will answer as blog posts.

But before then, I suggest adding a title picture and enabling comments. Do you leave comments on others' blogs? That really ups the volume of traffic!

I just posted on another "help me with my blog thread" -- I'm on a critique roll now!

I see a lot of blogs via Pinterest links. The ones I actually stay at and read, vs just seeing if they have instructions or a recipe generally have at least some of the following:

Eye-catching Title Font & Picture

Less paragraph text and more white space between (I find myself skimming otherwise)

Allow comments (not that I always do)

Pictures but not too many

Day in the life posts OR how-to

You've got a really unique situation and a lot of potential readers. I'd love to load my kids into a travel trailer or mobile home and just GO. Actually, I'd rather it be a sailboat, but until then, I'd like to read about your adventures.

Maybe you could do a WTM post giving a little background about your family and invite people to ask questions, which over the course of the next year (assuming you get a lot!), you will answer as blog posts.

But before then, I suggest adding a title picture and enabling comments. Do you leave comments on others' blogs? That really ups the volume of traffic!

Thank You so much for all of your tips I am now enabling comments on my post and will definitely look for more blogs to comment on. As far as asking WTM to ask questions I would not mind at all but I dont think the like me messing with their forum. I will also be adding day in the life post. :001_smile:

Yep, please pop a link in your siggy. I'm too lazy to copy and paste the blog address most of the time (although I'm about to make a special effort just for you!) Or come and comment on my blog. I usually check out blogs of people who say hi on mine.

ETA: If you enable comments, I could post a comment about how much I liked your dusky dolphin drawing ;)

Thank You! Sorry to have lost your comment. I really do need to practice drawing you should see my fathers drawings their beautiful!

More punctuation? I find it difficult to read blogs that are grammatically incorrect (lacking punctuation, run-on sentences, etc). Sorry!! Nothing against you personally at all! :). I think the information could be really interesting, but without punctuation it is hard for me to get into a good rhythm for reading.