Menu

X-box live help

We got an X-box (the free one with our new PC with the recent student offer).

I purchased the one year X-box live card but we cannot get it to work.

It says we need an X-box live account or a hotmail account????

Obviously we are missing something.

HELP!

Thanks,

Dawn

I wish I could help, but we had similar problems. We just kept trying different things until it worked, and I don't remember which one actually worked. Do make sure you're logged in as the right person (dh, ds, and I each have screen names). I kept going round and round with it both on the computer and the x-box until something worked. Good luck!

Try going to the Xbox Live website and setting up the account there, then go through the setup again. Fair warning, Microsoft has a horribly laid out site for Xbox account help. It always takes me eight tries to find the screen I'm looking for.

If that doesn't work, we had a problem once with our network setup, something about open NAT settings.

You need a Microsoft Live account, which if you have a hotmail or msn email those work. So the easiest way to get an account is to just sign up for a hotmail email. You will use this as you sign in for XBox Live. If you are having trouble with anything I whole-heartedly suggest calling their support line. I have always had great experiences with them and they have always resolved any issues I've had. (Including when it was the fault of my Internet provider.)

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us#2:1:1 Follow this link and request a call from an ambassador. They'll have it all worked out in a jiffy.

I think I am going to have to call. Just not right now. I am exhausted from the week and we have just spent over 2 hours trying to get this to work.

I finally WAS able to use the code, but did it on the computer, so it says we do have an account. But we can't get it to log in and work on the actual Xbox. :glare::glare::glare:

This may not be your problem, but maybe it will help others trying to connect their X-box with X-box Live.

Do you have Comcast Xfinity and/or the Arris router (I hope that is spelled correctly)?

We decided to let our son activate the X-box Live Gold for 3 months as a trial run and we struggled to connect the X-box to our router.

I had an an Xbox ambassador call me and he quickly discovered that our problem was the Arris router (two model numbers are known problems). He said that 3-4 months ago, the problem was discovered between Microsoft and Arris and they are apparently working on the issue.

To get around it and still keep a secure wireless network, we are going to try the ethernet cable or a wireless G adapter. Luckily we have both in the house.

I remember it was difficult to set up in beginning, too. My DH never figured out how to connect his XBOX account and his LIVE account, so my account is the one with the LIVE subscription.

Do you know what type of LIVE account this is?

Have you checked your network settings to see if the XBOX is on your network and connected to the Internet? (You can run this diagnostic from the XBOX)

When you click the XBOX button (in the middle of the controller) when the XBOX is turned on and go to "Log in" do you see a list of log-ons? Does one of the accounts say "XBOX live" under the account?