Menu

what would you use for the "or salad dressing" in this recipe?

Curried Chicken Salad

Source: Chicken

Makes 4 to 6 servings

RE_chi117s.jpgTry other fruits in this salad, such as apples, red or green seedless grapes, or pineapple. Two tablespoons of golden raisins or dried currants may also be added.

Click here to hide image

transp.gifRECIPE INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons chutney

1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 cup lightly salted whole almonds

2 cups chopped cooked chicken

2 red or green unpeeled pears, cored and coarsely chopped

Spinach leaves

RECIPE METHOD

Snip or chop any large pieces of fruit in the chutney. In a small mixing bowl stir together chutney, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and curry powder.

Coarsely chop 1/3 cup of the almonds. In a large mixing bowl combine chicken, pears, and chopped almonds. Add mayonnaise mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. Serve on spinach-lined plates. Garnish with remaining whole almonds.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.

New to Cooking.com - Click Here to Rate and Review this Recipe

http://www.cooking.com/recipes/rerecite_print.asp?No=467&RN=Curried%20Chicken%20Salad&SEO=

we don't do mayonnaise, and it seems like the wrong "salad dressing" could ruin this. what would you use?

Yes, they don't mean actual salad dressing - they mean to use mayo or Miracle Whip. I'd use Miracle Whip Light. It most likely needs the "thickness" of mayo or MW to come out properly, so if you use a regular dressing it won't come out as you expect it to.

*gag*

You might try a light lemon vinaigrette or a tahini-based dressing.

Miracle Whip?! I'm sorry, but first thought was, get out of town!

I've got plenty of yogurt on hand, so I think I'll try abbeyej's suggestion. Fresh out of lemon-tahini - I have a bad habit of eating it straight up, with a spoon. Man that stuff is good!

Thank you!

Miracle Whip?! I'm sorry, but first thought was, no effing way!

I've got plenty of yogurt on hand, so I think I'll try abbeyej's suggestion. Fresh out of lemon-tahini - I have a bad habit of eating it straight up, with a spoon. Man that stuff is good!

Thank you!

I've never heard of making chicken salad or tuna salad WITHOUT mayo or Miracle Whip - what do you guys make it with?

Yes, they don't mean actual salad dressing - they mean to use mayo or Miracle Whip. I'd use Miracle Whip Light. It most likely needs the "thickness" of mayo or MW to come out properly, so if you use a regular dressing it won't come out as you expect it to.

Now I'm a fairly well educated woman. Why did I not know this, about "salad dressing" being code? Boy, the stuff I learn on this board is amazing!:001_smile:

I just sort of stumbled on this when making a dressing for myself. Curry happens to be one of my favs so this may work.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 teaspoons honey

1 teaspoon curry powder

salt and pepper to taste

red chili flakes

I sort of play with these measurements to taste and of course for how much salad you want to dress. It is spicy and sweet. It taste sort of warm, if you know what I mean. :)

Now I'm a fairly well educated woman. Why did I not know this, about "salad dressing" being code? Boy, the stuff I learn on this board is amazing!:001_smile:

I think it says "salad dressing" or at least "dressing" on the label. I guess I know this because we have never EVER purchased mayo - I come from three generations of Miracle Whip consumers :D

I've never heard of making chicken salad or tuna salad WITHOUT mayo or Miracle Whip - what do you guys make it with?

I make 'chunky' chicken salad, like this recipe, with a creamy salad dressing. Usually poppy seed, but honey mustard or vidalia onion works as well.

the only chicken salad I make with mayo is the kind you use the food processor for.

Miracle Whip?! I'm sorry, but first thought was, get out of town!

Roflol! Sadly, I agree with everyone else! At least, I agree insofar as that's what the recipe *intended* for you to use.

I refuse to take a side in the mayo/miracle whip debate -- I think they're both vile. ;)

But I think plain yogurt (preferably with some fat in it) or sour cream will do what you need done...

I would assume "or salad dressing" would mean the bottled stuff that people tend to dump all over pasta salad with black olives and red peppers. :D

Seeing as how it's pretty obvious I'm no fan of that alternative either, I'd have made up my own dressing using yogurt, like abbeyej suggested, or using olive oil and rice vinegar with fresh garlic and maybe some cilantro. But, that's just me.

As for Miracle Whip, you obviously missed this thread wherein we discussed (ad naseum seems particularly apt here) the virtues, or lack thereof, of various kinds of whip or other white blobular substances often used in salads. :lol: