Menu

Tai Kwon Do??

Dd (12) needs a sport. She is done with gymnastics. She didnt enjoy dance. She is too old (?) for soccer or basketball in our area - it stops at 6th grade and doesnt pick up again until 9th. She had to stop ice skating when we moved due to lack of skating rink. Swimming will stop in Sept.

So, is Tai Kwon Do a good option???

Any martial art is good - my 12-yr-old started Kyuki-Do last year and is a green belt now - it is probably more important to find a good studio with a good reputation than to look for a certain type of martial art. In our city, the Kyuki-Do studio has been in place 50 years (!!!) and the son of the founder is now the main teacher. Folks flock there from miles away, as the reputation of the place is that good. So - ask locally to find the good studios, and then ask for a free month to try it out.

I stumbled across Tae Kwon Do in college (needed the PE credit) and ended up loving it and sticking around long enough to earn a black belt. It was good exercise - cardio, strength, balance, flexibility - and I think it's helpful for anyone to have some self-defense skills, especially a soon-to-be teenage girl. What I loved about my school was that it was focused on the "sport" aspect more than the "fight" aspect - we did spar (practice fight), but it wasn't rough or overly competitive. You'll find different attitudes in different schools, so definitely visit a few classes first.

What did she not like about gymnastics, though? I can see some possible similarities as it is also a very individual sport, very different than soccer or basketball.

my kids go to an ATA school. They're nationwide. Both of my olders are 1st degree black belts. My DD loves gymnastics, but I feel like this is something that she can do her whole life. They go for an hour twice a week. We're thinking about adding the leadership class in the fall, which would add another 30 minutes each time.

HTH!

My DD (almost 6 yrs) LOVES Tae Kwon Do. She studied at an ATA school for nearly a year (was a green belt) and then they closed (nothing against ATA - long story). We would've continued with ATA but there isn't another one in our area so we switched dojos. The belt ranking system is a little different but she loves it just as much despite fewer incentives (reward stickers and patches, etc.).

My son (3 1/2) is eager to start studying Tae Kwon Do himself - but he is just a little too young yet.

I would highly recommend the sport. It not only teaches skills but also boosts confidence and motivation.

It also serves as a springboard to learn about another culture & language. BONUS!!

:D

My child goes to an ATA studio as well. They like it because they practice with weapons and they sparr. Mixes it up a bit. They also have quite a few tournaments and other activities. You can be involved as much as you like. He goes 3-4 times a week. We sometimes stop for other seasonal sports but he loves it. I love it because it is a year round sport. I think they vary a bit from studio to studio.

My kids and I take TKD. We will be getting our 2nd degree black belts by the end of the year. I highly recommend martial arts - there are so many benefits to training. While I like TKD, I think the most important thing is to find a good school. The senior master/owner of our school happens to be a gold medalist from the 1987 world championships. He really knows his stuff and is great with the kids. He makes the school. So, should you decide to sign her up, make sure you check out different schools and find the best one regardless of style.

My oldest daughter took it while in college and is now taking it while in grad school. It makes me feel comforted to know that she has some skills in self defense, especially since she rides a city bus to and from the university and sometimes at night...I think it would be terrific to have your daughter take it up!

Dd (12) needs a sport. She is done with gymnastics. She didnt enjoy dance. She is too old (?) for soccer or basketball in our area - it stops at 6th grade and doesnt pick up again until 9th. She had to stop ice skating when we moved due to lack of skating rink. Swimming will stop in Sept.

So, is Tai Kwon Do a good option???

My older dd quit gymnastics last fall, and took up TKD and dance. She really likes TKD! She is planning to do High School sports- cross country, diving, and either tennis or track in the spring.

My son's been doing Taekwondo for about two years. He's doing great and loving it.

I was trying to find something organized for him to do and had the same problems you mention, and then I found out that there was a school nearby. He didn't even want to go watch a class. I couldn't figure out why, but made him go anyway, and made him take a "test drive." That was all it took.

We were just talking about this the other day, because he's doing so well (a 2nd in sparring and a 1st in weapons at the World Championships last month) and his teacher is very happy with him -- and he's all charged up to do tourneys this year. "Remember that you didn't even want to even *watch* a class a couple of years ago?" He says he thinks about it a lot and *now* tells me that he was afraid people would make fun of him. He's very tall, very slim, and loved football, but wasn't very good at it (and the coaches were not kind about it), and didn't like basketball. He liked roller skating but then "shot up" and lost all his coordination, so he kept wiping out and the kids laughed at him.

That is *not* an issue in a Taekwondo class -- at least not at our school. As a matter of fact, the teacher will not tolerate it *at all* and everyone works to their ability -- whatever that might be. We have all ages and ability levels and everyone treats each other with respect.

Since your daughter has already done gymnastics, she probably won't have the worries about coordination problems and the like, but even if she does, she'll get over it quick! And she can always take a class or two to see if it's "for her."

Good luck!