Menu

SOTW 1 question

Twilight Woods

lol, i had to look up what AG was.

I dont know the answer to your question. I plan to use SOTW w/o the CDs.

ETA: I saw in the Activity Guide where it seems to help lay everything out. Maybe you can find it super cheap?

Edited by Jpoy85

I am planning on only using the Audio CD's fro history and then do read alouds with it. Since I am not using the AG how do I find out which books are listed for each chapter?

If you want to find out which books are listed for each chapter, you should buy the AG. Susan Wise Bauer put work into those lists and deserves to profit from her labor. If you don't want to buy the AG, Google or do a library search for each chapter subject and make your own list.

If Satori Smiles really has the lists from the AG on her website, that's a copyright violation.

Do you have access to a good library? If so, just search by civilization and keyword for each lesson. Then, filter by children's books. The reading lists are definitely a good place to start, but many are out-of-print or hard-to-find books. They also miss the brand new books that have just been published.

You could always buy an older edition of the activity guide. Also, a lot of times, people will sell or give away their used guides with all of activity pages removed from the back (these pages have been used with his/her child). The front section, which lists the books, crafts, etc. is totally fine in the front. You can post a wanted ad on the sale board here. Also, a few books are listed in the Well-Trained Mind. You could also download the sample of History Odyssey: Ancients and use their book list for the first several chapters. That should give you an idea what you're looking for.

If you want to find out which books are listed for each chapter, you should buy the AG. Susan Wise Bauer put work into those lists and deserves to profit from her labor. If you don't want to buy the AG, Google or do a library search for each chapter subject and make your own list.

If Satori Smiles really has the lists from the AG on her website, that's a copyright violation.

They are not a complete listing of the books. They are books she used.

:iagree:

I have the activity guide but I can rarely find those books in the library. I just find something on the topic we are studying. A few have been really good too!

But this might help: http://guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/ancient/books.html I got ideas from this list.

Thank you!

my favorite sotw blog with resources here

Love This!

Do you have access to a good library? If so, just search by civilization and keyword for each lesson. Then, filter by children's books. The reading lists are definitely a good place to start, but many are out-of-print or hard-to-find books. They also miss the brand new books that have just been published.

You could always buy an older edition of the activity guide. Also, a lot of times, people will sell or give away their used guides with all of activity pages removed from the back (these pages have been used with his/her child). The front section, which lists the books, crafts, etc. is totally fine in the front. You can post a wanted ad on the sale board here. Also, a few books are listed in the Well-Trained Mind. You could also download the sample of History Odyssey: Ancients and use their book list for the first several chapters. That should give you an idea what you're looking for.

I did this last night. :) My library had a ton of books that I was able to add to a list and request when needed.