Menu

Runners! I need advice re: blisters (and blood blisters!)

Just purchased new Saucony shoes...they tend to be larger in the toe area but for some reason my foot is rubbing the wrong way. Too bad so sad, I've already worn them and it's too late to take them back -- I'm a sufferin' through it!

So on the outside of my big toe, after my 16k last week, I saw a rather large blood blister. Today I did another 16k and I have another blister, on top of the blood blister. Plus last week I incurred another blister 2" down from the toe blister...and this week there's another one on top of that.

Any ideas on how to treat these suckers? I have to wear the shoes. I have to do my long runs. :)

Sell the shoes (gently used) on eBay and buy another pair (wear your old pair until new pair arrives) :D Seriously though...until I started buying them from roadrunnersports (I'm VIP w/ 90 day return policy for just this purpose) I would always being doing hit & miss w/ new running shoes.

I have no idea what to do for blood blisters, but honestly I wouldn't wear the shoes again for a long run unless I figured something out. :(

You could try self-stick mole skin to help the surface, but it will make the area thicker.

You could try thinner socks too...or try replacing insoles so that it adjusts the fit a bit....

:grouphug:

FYI: I'm not a very experienced runner. I've only been running longer distances for about 18 months.

Did you get fitted for your shoes? I wear Sauconys, but I know it depends on the feet. Nikes are torture on my feet. I got fitted at a running store last year before starting half marathon training and never had a blister during the entire training process and race. I did find that I had to have middle-weight socks. My feet would get too hot if they were thick and I would have minor rubbing if they were too thin.

When I was in high school sports, I used to soak my poor, blistered feet in Epsom salt. I don't remember having blood blisters so I'm not sure if it's indicated for that or just regular blisters. DSIL had one drained, soaked in Epsom salt, treated with Neosporin, and wrapped so that she could keep running with us on vacation this summer. She had gotten sand in it, so that necessitated the draining.

I hope that you can get it figured out so that it doesn't affect your running much.

Diaper cream works well to prevent the blisters, as does petroleum jelly mixed with a teensy bit of alcohol. I can't stand the thought of petroleum jelly. :P You will get better advice about the blood blisters... but I pop them with a staight pin and keep running in my new shoes. This happened to me 2 pairs of my child current Mizuno ago and now I just have giant calluses. NOT pretty but my knees feel great.:)

Bandaid actually has bandaids for blisters. My boys have had to use them several times and think they work well. Johnson's Foot Soak and epson salt soaks work well. I would also recommend different shoes. My oldest used to get blisters until we got him a runner's stick for his feet. He can really tell the difference when he uses it.

I was wondering which Sauconys you have. My oldest has the Kinvara 3s and my second son has the Omnis. They are the same shoe size but where their shoes differently. When we took them to get shoes, they tried on eachother's and did not like the way they felt. They are both very happy with the shoes that they chose.

Most running stores, including online, will take those shoes back! So, be sure to call! If they wouldn't, few runners would ever try new shoes bc there is really no way to know for sure until you've run some miles!

That said, try great socks. Really great running socks. Buy a couple different styles/brands of $15-20 running socks. I almost never blister at all in my best running socks, even 12-20 milers, but two miles in cheap Target socks on a hot day will blister me for sure.

If socks don't do it, I'd just retire the new shoes to being overpriced kicking around shoes, and buy new shoes. This time, be sure to get them from a running store with a good return policy!

I'd definitely try to return them. If you can't do that, it sounds like the shoes are a little too short for your feet. If you want to use them, perhaps save them for bike riding or short distance running and buy another pair that fit properly. If you can't do that, use them but make sure you trim your toe nails very short, try really thin biker's socks and use body glide. Using a bandaid will just make the space between your toe and the end of the shoe shorter.

The reason that they may be causing blisters only on the long runs is that your feet could be swelling after running the longer distances, and perhaps it's hot where you are. They may be fine for shorter runs.

Edited by wintermom

I have blister prone skin, and I want to tell you that I am so sorry! That sounds horrible. Oh, I would be so upset.

It does sound like those are NOT the shoes for you. Like I said, I blister very easily and have come to accept a certain level of blistering with new shoes, but that is not acceptable. Heck, I have got a blister from bedroom slippers, so I know from blisters.

I have found that thin socks really help. I have bought anti-blister socks and it did make a difference. That is all I wear for running anymore. Once I switched to those socks, running related blisters all but disappeared.

Ugh, I really cannot afford new shoes, especially since running shoes are WAY pricier here in Canada than in US (just read an article on yahoo.ca that said it's one of our top 10 US purchases as it's way cheaper). These ones were $180 and I got them on sale for $140 including tax. That's a steal! (I think the style is Hurricane something or other!)

We have two really good running stores here...both don't take back shoes once worn outside. They say to use them on the treadmill. Problem is, to run 16k on the treadmill is really boring, and when I bought them almost a month ago I was running shorter distances.

I do wear thin good running socks.

So I guess I'll soak the feet and see what the drug store has in the way of something to help heal and discourage any further blisters! Sooooo bummed!!!!

You are all so awesome!

Most running stores, including online, will take those shoes back! So, be sure to call! If they wouldn't, few runners would ever try new shoes bc there is really no way to know for sure until you've run some miles!

That said, try great socks. Really great running socks. Buy a couple different styles/brands of $15-20 running socks. I almost never blister at all in my best running socks, even 12-20 milers, but two miles in cheap Target socks on a hot day will blister me for sure.

If socks don't do it, I'd just retire the new shoes to being overpriced kicking around shoes, and buy new shoes. This time, be sure to get them from a running store with a good return policy!

:iagree: My dd just got a new pair of running shoes from Luke's Locker. They said that if her the new shoes did not help with the shin pain that she is having then to bring them back and to try a different pair. They watched her run in her old shoes and the new ones too.

I also agree with spending money on good running socks. My dd wears balega socks.

Lastly, make sure you are tieing your shoes snuggly. You should only be able to get one finger under your lace. Any more than that and they are too loose and your foot will move around.

ETA - Just read your update. Never mind my post.

Edited by Ferdie