Menu

Egg allergy - substitutions please?

Hey, we just found out our son is allergic to eggs. He has been experiencing choking, GI issues, etc After being scoped, he was diagnosed with eosinaphilic esophagitis so they tested him for food allergies this morning.

Evidently, along with much stress at college, he was eating scrambled eggs every day!

Anyway, since he is home for the semester, what can I substitute for eggs in recipes? Is there a good egg substitute out there?

Thanks,

ReneeR

I forgot to mention that we really liked this vegan baking cookbook. We basically used regular butter and milk (although she recommends vegan alternatives) and just used it because the recipes don't contain eggs or use the egg replacer. Pancakes, cookies, muffins, waffles and other baked goods ...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Joy-Vegan-Baking-Compassionate/dp/1592332803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346174991&sr=8-1&keywords=joy+of+vegan+baking

My oldest has an aversion to all baked goods even when I make them egg free. I have done a brownie box mixed with a can of pureed black beans, but they are only good warm. The other thing is the cake mix and can of soda in the tupperware container trick that he likes. Other than that he never ate eggs so he doesn't miss them straight up.

Another thing to consider - the protein that causes the allergic reaction is only found in the whites of the eggs, so you might check with his allergist about whether separating the eggs and serving the yellow part would be acceptable. I never felt that the white was adequately removed from the yellow myself, so never tried this with my son.

Eggs is only one of many things our 4 year old is allergic to. The ener-g replacer is good for some things, but I find it causes some baked goods to come out VERY crumbly and you can only use it I think up to 2 or 3 "eggs." The ground flax seed/water combo works better IMO, expecially in some yeast breads. My favorite is applesauce (about 3 TB per egg being replaced). Works well in baked goods (cakes, quick breads, some cookies) and other recipes (meatballs, meatloaf). It makes baked goods VERY nice and moist. If you need to use egg as a wash for a coating like fried chicken or something you can sub milk or water. I haven't found a substitute for scrambled eggs that DD likes yet (but I want to try the tofu idea... never thought of that!).

Good luck experimenting!

Everyone has already said what I would have said, but I also wanted to say if you make scrambled "eggs" with tofu I would suggest adding a bit of tumeric for color. Not too much, but just enough to make the tofu look yellow. I think it makes it feel more like you're eating eggs then. :)

Guest AndreaRH

I use chia seeds in baked goods. They have never failed my son.

Soak 2 teaspoons chia seeds in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 minutes or until a gelatinous mass forms. This will approximate 1 egg.

I soak more at a time in a half pint jar and keep it in the fridge. Then when I need an "egg" I measure out a mass that looks a little smaller than an egg. This works in things like pancakes, banana bread, cakes, etc. The binding quality of the egg white is approximated. It's not perfect but I like it.

Andrea

all good responses, just want to say - i found that in a recipe that calls for multiple eggs, you need to use more than one sub (like some flax good and some oil/bakingpowder etc). But there are some recipes you cant sub the eggs out of, they are too reliant on egg for their structure.

I also hate the boxed sub (and its home-made version) and find vegan recipes often a great help. ask if there are any specific recipes you want