Menu

What should you teach in Kindergarten?

bttrflyvld

We are using My Father's World from A-Z as our base curriculum for kindergarten. This includes Bible, Character, Science, Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, Art, Children's Literature, and Creative Thinking. In addition, we use the Clase Divertida for Spanish and because my dd needs more practice with Math and Language, we are also using Singapore Early Bird Math book B in addition to MFW K math and Handwriting Without Tears Program in addition to MFW K language arts. This is plenty to keep us busy for K I feel. We spend about an 1 1/2 on average a day on school time, with the additions of Spanish and Singapore Math / HWT to our MFW K curriculum.

It's been fun! We started our K curriculum in mid-April at the pace of 3 days a week and just started doing 4 days a week now that swim lessons and summer camp is over. I guess summer is pretty much over. All the kids in ps in our neighborhood have started, so the kids can't play during the day with neighbor kids anyway.

Have you already purchased a curriculum for K?

Reading, handwriting, and math are the most important, but I am a huge believer in science and history in kindergarten as well. If I only had a kindergartner, I would probably do early American history, but since I also have a 2nd grader we are doing Ancient this year. Science should be hands-on and fun, giving them a lot of experiences in observation of the world around them.

We're doing phonics, handwriting, and math, of course.

Our "bonus" subjects (which I don't believe are totally necessary, but I have a pushy dh and don't really see anything wrong with extras): American history, science, geography, logic, Italian, scriptures.

Beyond the three R's, everyone has different preferences. Heck, some people prefer to delay the 3 R's, too! So basically, whatever you want!

Well, we have done a K4 year with each kid which looks like:

Bible

Math (Saxon K)

Reading (OPGTR for dd, Saxon for ds)

Handwriting (HWOT)

Elemental Science: Intro

FIAR/ B4FIAR

Then our actual K5 year was:

Bible

Math (Saxon 1)

Language Arts (depending on skills- start Spelling Workout, FLL, copy work, finish phonics)

Handwriting or copy work once letters are formed correctly

Elemental Science: Exploring Science

Elemental History

Reading

Penmanship

Math

That's all that a Ker really needs. Some Art and Music and Sport are good too.

That being said, my Kers tend to do a fairly full curriculum including Mindbenders Warm-up (Logic), First Language Lessons (they've all been reading and asked about Grammar), Geography History and Science are followed along with siblings each at their own level.

Reading: Letter recognition and beginning phonics, read alouds (picture books)

Writing: Penmanship

Math: Number recognition, counting, ordinal numbers, beginning calendar (seasons, months, days), beginning time (morning, afternoon, night)

Other (for fun):

Music: singing songs

Art: drawing, coloring, painting, sculpting

Science: interest-driven, lots of informal nature study and science videos

Life skills: simple food prep, basic chores, library skills (teaching child about the catalog and sections)

I focused on reading, math skills (just the basics), and writing (forming letters and writing short words). We also read a lot of books about a variety of subjects.

We did end up doing a lot more, especially in math, but I just paced it depending on what my kids were ready for. My #1 goal was to have them reading VERY well by first grade. I only spent about 20 minutes on our reading lesson every day. Our math and writing was incorporated into playing.

My daughter was reading well at the beginning of K (2nd grade level), so that strongly influenced what we did. It freed us up to explore some avenues that we may not have done if we were focused on beginning reading instruction, so bear that in mind. We also did an unusual amount of travel that year, which influenced planning as well.

Math: Singapore Earlybird

Science: lots of library books, activities at the local science museum, nature center, zoo, etc. Since we went to SeaWorld that year, I did a lot of reading with her on marine mammals.

English: continued reading from the library, finished up Explode the Code series for phonics.

Art/Music: activities at the library, museums, etc plus various free craft things she tried at home (but I'm not terribly crafty)

Social Studies: I wanted an introduction to American history, since we planned to do SOTW in elementary. We learned about American holidays, major figures (George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, MLK, Lewis and Clark), symbols (Statue of Liberty, flag, Liberty Bell), etc through reading aloud, website activities (Plimoth Plantation has some nice ones for Thanksgiving, for instance), and field trips. This was also prompted because we did a 2.5 week driving trip that spring which included a lot of historic sites. I wanted her to have some exposure before we got to them.

That year also included a visit to Epcot (along with SeaWorld), so I wanted to do some exposure to modern world cultures. I used DK's "Children Just Like Me" as a spine for this. We read the 2 page spread on each child, then might listen to music from the country, watch some dancing, check out a couple of additional books from the library, maybe eat some food from that country.

PE: she had a combo gymnastics/dance class that year and learned to swim, plus regular park days with the homeschool group.

I looked at K as a "bonus year" for us to do some fun things before settling into the elementary routine. A lot of this was interest-led, and we didn't spend a lot of focused time per day.