Menu

Depth and Complexity Icons: A Guide to?

Spy Car

:confused:

I'm a little bit :confused: myself, so I should not be the one to enlighten you, but—as I understand it—the depth and complexity icons are tools designed to help students probe questions/issues more deeply by shaping the analysis based on which of the 11 icons (each have their own distinct areas of concern) are applied. Does that make any sense?

My understanding is these tools are most often used in differentiating programs for gifted learners, but it is not an exclusive deal.

I have much to learn.

Bill

7 years out of the classroom and I am so out of touch! Ahhhh! I've never heard of these.

:bigear:

My son's teacher this year for Third Grade (who is FANTASTIC—boy did we score this year—and also the school's GATE coordinator) is all over these as a way of differentiating lessons (especially with children who are "identified").

While there will certainly be a learning curve for my wife and me, so far they seem like an interesting way to get children to probe more deeply into questions by having a set of parameters of inquiry.

While we are still dealing with "the shock of the new" these tools do seem intriguing.

Bill

I clicked on the link for the Native Americans cooperative groups activity.

At the bottom of the page it states that the big idea is: "Power can be used or misused."

Made me chuckle and reminded me of one "gifted session" that I had in high school where we were to discuss the concept of nothing. It turns out that "nothing" cannot exist because it may always be defined as the absence of something. What a terrible waste of an hour that was in my life.

• 1 month later...

:confused1: my 3rd grader just had a introductary session on that.

Below are the links I am reading now just to know what the teacher is trying to say. Today was on details icon so it was not so bad.

Using Depth and Complexity Great Questions (CarlsbadUSD)

Depth and Complexity An Introduction (CarlsbadUSD)

Prompts of Depth and Complexity Activity (LAUSD)

Depth and Complexity (HoustonISD)

And the government spent how much making these icons? What happened to having a knowledgeable teacher just ask questions as appropriate? :confused:

Not sure how much USC spent making these icons, but the school is charging $1,900 per teacher for the whole course. Dimensions of Depth and Complexity is one course out of a total of four for the whole course.