Menu

Cutting clutter/yard sale. Tips & Advice?

I'm feeling overwhelmed with clutter I've been ignoring.

What are your guidelines for keepsakes? I moved a lot as a kid, and every time we did we threw out a lot of stuff. DH lived in the same house from age 2 until he went to college. Every time we go visit, we come back with random stuff tucked into the car - like his middle school sewing project, a stuffed eagle.

What do you do with your DH's random possessions?

Also, please share any tips you have about the easiest way to have a yard sale. I have got to get rid of some of our stuff, but most of it is not junk.

Thanks!

What do you do with your DH's random possessions?

Sewn stuffed eagle? Take a digital photograph and throw away. Ditto for almost all "stuff". I keep writing, diaries, poetry, photographs, but nothing that has to be dusted.

Also, please share any tips you have about the easiest way to have a yard sale. I have got to get rid of some of our stuff, but most of it is not junk.

Think very hard whether it will be worth the time and effort. I will neverhold another garage sale, I just give away my things to somebody who needs them.

We have a giveaway system in our local homeschool group; we all bring things when we need them no longer, and in most cases somebody else will be happy to have them. The rest goes to a local charity's thriftstore.

[quote=Katy;4228508

What do you do with your DH's random possessions?!

I would not dispose of them without his permission. My dh can easily say "Keep" or "Toss" . . . but the stuff he wishes to keep needs to be kept. In a cardboard box in the attic if need be . . . !

It's VERY easy to purge someone else's possessions!

Sewn stuffed eagle? Take a digital photograph and throw away. Ditto for almost all "stuff". I keep writing, diaries, poetry, photographs, but nothing that has to be dusted.

Think very hard whether it will be worth the time and effort. I will neverhold another garage sale, I just give away my things to somebody who needs them.

We have a giveaway system in our local homeschool group; we all bring things when we need them no longer, and in most cases somebody else will be happy to have them. The rest goes to a local charity's thriftstore.

:iagree: Photos of large objects are great and you can store them on your computer without even printing them if you want, taking up NO extra physical space. I also agree with not having a garage sale, unless you are highly motivated and full of energy. If you do have one, I would suggest donating what's left as soon as possible.

I don't have garage sales anymore either. I love donating and giving things to people I know.

BTW, if your husbnad refuses to throw away the memorabilia, could you and he agree to have one box/tub for his things, and if it starts to overflow something goes?

That's what we do; everyone has a keepsake box to put whatever they want inside. When it's overflowing, you have some decisions to make. It helps the kids a lot to evaluate how much they really like an item.

For the garage sale, it depends on how hard up you are. Earlier in our marriage, it would be worth it. Then, I just sold the stuff that would bring in $20+ on ebay or CL. Now, having the space and not having the extra work is worth much more to me than the few hundred dollars i'd make on our junk. I even mailed off a box of curriculum to Book Samaritan. Felt SO good to have that out of the house and not hanging over my head anymore. Evaluate how much you truly need the $ you'll make at a sale. Weighed against the time/energy/space cost. And don't feel guilty if the answer is to donate it all. You didn't throw away $10. You helped someone else and bought yourself sanity.

He hasn't vetoed tossing anything; he said it's up to me. Which almost makes it harder... maybe he means he's not attached to any of it and we should get rid of most of it. I think the eagle might have to stay in a box in the attic though, it's bulky and furry but really special. My 7th grade sewing projects were badly-fitting pants, I don't know why his was so cool.