Menu

Dr. Hive Dermatologists: Mole, Just Appeared, Description Inside: (details/TMI?)

I have an appointment today at 2pm.

Doctor called it 'actinic keratosis' -- (sounds like something that a little mouthwash and flossing would take care of ) - I think less than 1% of them are cancerous - b/c my mom had squamous cell cancer a few years ago, the decision was made to get rid of this today and i will go back in two weeks for a follow up and skin check.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts --:grouphug:

I noticed this yesterday -- it was not there on Sunday.

It is about 4" below my armpit (gosh. is there any gracious way of writing THAT?:glare:) on the left side of my body, just slightly above where the bottom of my bra sits. Does that make sense?

It is small-ish; it was white and scaly-looking, but it was itchy, and i scratched and now what remains is a pinkish/reddish bump with an indentation in the center. It is perfectly round (which I have read is better than if it were asymetrical) and smaller than a pencil eraser.

What concerns me most is that it wasn't there two days ago -- I have a list of dermatologist offices and I am waiting for them to open and I will start calling and find a same day appointment - which some of the practices do say they offer.

Sheesh -- it's always something, isn't it?:glare: Ask me how many times I was up in the night googling images. My mom had skin cancer about 7 years ago and she is fine -- but she was 70 when she was diagnosed....and she has baked herself in the sun forever. I've been under a sunbrella slathered in sunscreen for 30 years.

Edited by MariannNOVA

My guess? Not a mole but a bug bite or ingrown hair. But that's my guess without seeing a picture just based on your description.

That's what I thought at first -- of course I immediately thought 'tick' - not going to take a photo - but it looks like a textbook photo of basal cell carcinoma.....sort of.:001_huh: sometimes i hate the internet.

It could just be a keratosis, I have a few of them. They can look similar to warts, or a patch of slightly raised skin, and be pale colored to black/brown. One on my back where I have been sunburnt sent me to a dermatologist. He took one look and said "age spot." :tongue_smilie: They can itch sometimes, especially if they are in a spot that gets irritated or has friction with clothing.

One turned up on my knee last week.

Edited by Onceuponatime

It could just be a keratosis, I have a few of them. They can look similar to warts, or a patch of slightly raised skin, and be pale colored to black/brown.

My DH has some of those. He had one that I was positive was some form of skin cancer. The derm looked at it and said it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Could also be a skin tag? They're very common in the underarm/bra area.

My DH has some of those. He had one that I was positive was some form of skin cancer. The derm looked at it and said it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Could also be a skin tag? They're very common in the underarm/bra area.

Not a skin tag -- i know what those look like. It's 8:30, the office if open -- i will get an appointment and update here later.

Thank you all for sharing and helping to ease my mind.:001_smile:

Not sure what it is, probably nothing serious. Just wanted to reassure you that BCCs are slow-growing so almost certainly not that. It's melanoma that grows quick and your mole doesn't sound like a melanoma.

Hope you get an appointment quickly.

Not sure what it is, probably nothing serious. Just wanted to reassure you that BCCs are slow-growing so almost certainly not that. It's melanoma that grows quick and your mole doesn't sound like a melanoma.

Hope you get an appointment quickly.

:iagree:Thank you for the reassurance-- :001_smile: -- I am thinking the same.

I go today at 2pm -- :auto:

Now that you got on the internet you'll have to have it checked out. :D :grouphug:

:iagree: I recently had to go to the doc because I googled and was convinced of one thing and it turned out to be something else. Quite a relief but still something that needed to be treated. I hope yours turns out likewise. :grouphug:

:iagree: I recently had to go to the doc because I googled and was convinced of one thing and it turned out to be something else. Quite a relief but still something that needed to be treated. I hope yours turns out likewise. :grouphug:

Thank you --yes, I would like that same outcome.:)

It could just be a keratosis, I have a few of them. They can look similar to warts, or a patch of slightly raised skin, and be pale colored to black/brown. One on my back where I have been sunburnt sent me to a dermatologist. He took one look and said "age spot." :tongue_smilie: They can itch sometimes, especially if they are in a spot that gets irritated or has friction with clothing.

One turned up on my knee last week.

:iagree:

However, anything that looks strange should be checked out by a dermatologist. I had a ton of sunburns early on (first one before age 1) and I now see mine 2x a year. Anything slightly off, we carve out.

It's good that you've got an appointment and it's probably nothing, but it's definitely for the best that you're going in.

update:

Doctor called it 'actinic keratosis' -- (sounds like something that a little mouthwash and flossing would take care of ) - I think less than 1% of them are cancerous - b/c my mom had squamous cell cancer a few years ago, the decision was made to get rid of this today and i will go back in two weeks for a follow up and skin check.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts --:grouphug:

(hijacking)

Yes, better. lungs clear, but wbc count up, so got a shot of an antibiotic.

Resting, drinking.

Plus my mom & dad came up to help :)

Now you - go get ready for that BABY!

Well, i have been sending layette items for the past 8 weeks -- and i ordered an organic crib mattress and had that shipped last week. And, sunday was the baby shower, in NJ, and i really could not attend so I sent a gorgeous bouquet of pink flowers and pink balloons. And, i have washed hooded towels and washcloths sitting on my dining room table and three more little outfits and two more things so you don't have to put a snowsuit on the baby when he/;she is in the carseat -- i will send those tomorrow.

I'm ready!;)