Menu

Is there a drug store or natural product that fixes sun-damaged skin?

After 20 years of following my husband to the beach, my fair Irish skin is splotchy and permanently freckled. I'm not leathery, but the skin on my neck and jaw is discolored. Anyone have a good fix that doesn't include $100's at the dermatologist?

Edited by bookfiend

I'm right there with ya, my Irish sister.

I buy a glycolic peel off ebay. I use it once a month. I love it!

Any GP can write a script for Retinin A. I was surprised at how 'cheap' a tube cost. It was maybe 35$ for a tube that lasted almost a whole year. It was generic and I have been told that the name brand lasts even longer and works better, but I will stick with generic. FWIW, a container of high end store cream (Like L'oreal) can cost more and we all know it doesn't really do a thing except moisturize. Spend that money on something that will work.

Go to a drug store (like Rite Aid) and look for a skin lightener. Porcelana is a brand name. Whatever you get should have at least 2% hydroquinone. I got some that is 3% at walmart. It is very cheap. It is usually in the 'off brand' section or on the bottom shelf. Sometimes it is in the section for African American skin. It takes some time, but it will work. I use it nightly for 3 or 4 months then take a break for 3 or 4 months etc. I don't use it in the summer. There is also a script for this at a higher dosage that will work faster.

I alternate between the Retinin and the Hydroquinone. I do a glycolic peel a few times a year. It has made a HUGE difference in my skin. I look 10 years younger. People think I am the younger sister and my sister is 6 years younger.

Now, using any of these means that you make a lifelong commitment to very high SPF sunscreen from 'hairline to braline' every. single. day. Even in the winter. Even if you are just sitting in the car. UVA rays pass through glass so a day in the car is like a day at the beach. Lean to love hats and shawls.

If you don't want to use the sunscreen, then don't bother with any of this because it will just make things worse. You don't want to use Retinin only to expose your skin to the sun. You will burn and your skin will spot even more.

Norwegian Fishing Village girl here stuck in a hot spot.

I use coconut oil for a moisturizer and "Skin Recovery Moisturizer" from Paula's

Choice.

I've been at the beach and on the lake in a boat and look burnt but when I apply the skin recovery, it seems to take care of it. The coconut oil, I usually use in the morning.

Retinin A is what you need but you need to keep in mind that it speeds exfoliation and cell turnover meaning that your skin is thinner and more delicate. You would to make an extrem effort to stay out of the sun or you could just make the problem worse. If you don't want to go with the Retinin A then I recommend the product Alpha Hydrox (it is an alpha-hydroxy product). You can buy several different strengths on Amazon. Cosmetic Cop is also a good site with lots of good advice and her products are good as well. If you can't get tid of the freckles, consider adding a reddish tint to your hair and then you will look as Irish as the day is long.

I'm right there with ya, my Irish sister.

I buy a glycolic peel off ebay. I use it once a month. I love it!

Any GP can write a script for Retinin A. I was surprised at how 'cheap' a tube cost. It was maybe 35$ for a tube that lasted almost a whole year. It was generic and I have been told that the name brand lasts even longer and works better, but I will stick with generic. FWIW, a container of high end store cream (Like L'oreal) can cost more and we all know it doesn't really do a thing except moisturize. Spend that money on something that will work.

Go to a drug store (like Rite Aid) and look for a skin lightener. Porcelana is a brand name. Whatever you get should have at least 2% hydroquinone. I got some that is 3% at walmart. It is very cheap. It is usually in the 'off brand' section or on the bottom shelf. Sometimes it is in the section for African American skin. It takes some time, but it will work. I use it nightly for 3 or 4 months then take a break for 3 or 4 months etc. I don't use it in the summer. There is also a script for this at a higher dosage that will work faster.

I alternate between the Retinin and the Hydroquinone. I do a glycolic peel a few times a year. It has made a HUGE difference in my skin. I look 10 years younger. People think I am the younger sister and my sister is 6 years younger.

Now, using any of these means that you make a lifelong commitment to very high SPF sunscreen from 'hairline to braline' every. single. day. Even in the winter. Even if you are just sitting in the car. UVA rays pass through glass so a day in the car is like a day at the beach. Lean to love hats and shawls.

If you don't want to use the sunscreen, then don't bother with any of this because it will just make things worse. You don't want to use Retinin only to expose your skin to the sun. You will burn and your skin will spot even more.

Which glycolic peel?