Menu

How many credits for a religion course?

DS is using this curriculum for his religion course over the next 3 years. It's designed to be done one section (pdf file) each quarter and the questions are fairly comprehensive.

I'm not sure how many credits to assign though. :confused: 1 credit per year for 3 credits total? 1 credit each OT/NT? 1/2 credit for each year?

Thoughts from the Hive?

In the umbrella school that we have used, they will only give a maximum of 1.5 credits for this subject saying that most colleges would not accept more....

I haven't researched it myself, so don't know if that means that it would be a detriment even if you have enough other credits for the typical subjects or what.....

But since I just read that, I thought it might help you...

Joan

I personally would not give more than one credit, total. I think that many colleges regard religion credits as "filler" if you go beyond one, especially if it is a bible study or related specifically to one faith (as opposed to also doing a Bible as literature course, or a survey of world religions).

Plus, more than that feels like a stretch to me, b/c I know many schooled kids study religion outside of school, and don't get credit for it (likewise, spend a lot of time on hobbies and so on). We are just starting high school, but I'm trying to focus on core academic credits for the transcript. Even if the student truly does a credit's worth of work, I don't think it's always to their benefit to include every extra course on a transcript.

One credit for the whole curriculum since it focuses on recall questions which don't seem to be challenging. 1 credit = 120/180 hours of grade level work (i.e., not just reading). In our home we go for the 180, but what the credit equals is included on the transcript so you could make it whatever you wanted.