Menu

Skip the crib and get a toddler bed?

We are co-sleepers. Our babies usually stay in our bed until about a year, then I'll start the crib. Most nights they would end up in our beds eventually. So my dd will be 1 in Oct and I'm ready to set up the crib. Well we moved over a year ago and the screws were lost. So I'm thinking it might just be better to go ahead and get a toddler bed. I can get one of those side bars to ensure she won't fall off.

Is this a good idea? I don't really want to spend too much money on a crib that can be converted. I would just buy a toddler bed at Ikea. :)

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sounds good to me. My kids hated the crib, and my dd probably slept in hers three-four nights during her first year. As soon as she learned to walk we converted it into a toddle bed. She was 12.5 months at that time, and we did that for our other two kids as well. Toddler beds have a little rail on the front half to keep them from falling out, and that worked fine for us.

i've never owned a crib, tho i did have a cosleeper for the last one. When he was a toddler, I got a twin sized mattress and put it on the ground next to our bed (our bed is low anyways, so it wasnt too far up/down). Eventually we moved it in to his room.

My oldest one had a toddler bed in my room for a while. that worked well, too.

My older 2 were in regular beds from around 1 year (the oldest took to vaulting over the side ) with a rail to stop them rolling out. With my youngest DD we bought a double futon bed. Low enough to the ground that falling out wasn't a problem, and plenty of room for nights when I ended up in her bed.

I'd skip the toddler bed, personally. DD went from cosleeping to a full mattress on the floor (full is more comfortable for someone to lay with her...) Now she has a regular bed (queen size, because that's what we had available at the time). The twins needed cribs (they do NOT like cosleeping, and we tried them on a mattress on the floor from 6-9months, but they woke each other so much...), but will go from there to a mattress on the floor. Maybe one full or maybe two twins - depending on what happens.

How about a pack'n play?

We used that with youngest from about age 7 months to almost age 2. Crib was set up, but didn't trust my other kids (both toddlers at the time) around him when I wasn't in the room at night.

He slept great in the pack'n play in our room, and I didn't have to worry about him wandering around at night when I was sleeping.

Went right from there to a twin size bed with built in rails (low to the ground because it was a bunk set, not yet doubled up).

Depends on her personality - if she is generally a compliant child then I would skip the crib. If she is a spitfire then I would go with the pack and play or buy new screws option.

The biggest issue I see is getting them to stay in the bed. I have some that I could say "go to bed" and they would. And then.... there are the others..... Putting them in a bed at a year was a disaster. Mostly it was their personalities though. Some just couldn't resist the "option" of getting up.

We co-sleep too (well, 4 out of the 6 did. Two of ours hated it). I typically move my babies to their own beds between 1 yr - 18 months too ;)

dd was out in a twin size be also at 15 months. It took us 3 months to figure out that she wasn't doing the mattress on the floor thing. She had to have her whole bed put together and we just got her a safety rail to keep her in and bought her a stool that slid underneath in the day time for her to climb in and out.