Menu

What is the proper term for this math tool?

Neither dh nor I can recall what this is.

It looks like a compass (the kind used to draw circles), but instead of having a side to put in a writing instrument it just has two sides with a point. It is used to measure.

I can't even google it because I don't know what to call it. I keep wanting to call it an astrolabe but I don't think that is right.

Edited by Parrothead

We always called that tool "the dividers." But I think it was originally called a compass -- or rather, a "set of compasses" -- and was used to scratch a circle on something, as well as to transfer measurements. The variant that holds a pencil was a later invention, and was called something different (sorry, I don't remember what :tongue_smilie:). I had a British elementary teacher who was a bit of a stickler about this, and kept lecturing our class about our abuse of nomenclature. Not that his exhortations had much effect. We just kept calling the pencil thing a "compass." And those mysterious dividers just stayed in the box and pretty much never got used, except for occasional acts of vandalism, or (for us tame folks) poking holes in erasers.

ETA: You can see an example of the old meaning of "compasses" in the Freemasons' "square and compasses" logo.

So dividers are in fact compasses, and compasses might technically be something else (?).

(I'm not surprised to see that the Masons have had a hand in this. It's probably just a smokescreen to confuse the public, while they get up to goodness knows what schemes. ;))

Edited by Eleanor