Menu

Drying milk up ?

Well, this is completely new to me, ladies! Usually my babies go from nursing 4x/day to once/day to nothing in a matter of a week. My body responds accordingly and I have a day, maybe two, of discomfort and then I'm done.

I'm down to pumping only 3x/day yet my body seems to think I'm still pumping every 2.5 hours! This.is.not.fun. I want to go down to at least 2x/day but can't make it that long. Is there anything at all I can do/take to help this process along? My body really needs to get the message that I am done (well, physically I am...emotionally/mentally not so much :( ).

Sorry so personal but I need help!

Don't use a pump. Self express in a hot shower just enough to relieve. I know the pain. I was supplying two forEVER and then i just would.not.stop.

Stimulate a let down in the shower and then squeeze a few times. I could never figure out the pumps.

Don't use a pump.
Read this just as I got done pumping! OK...guess I'll try no pump and some cabbage leaves along with compression. I was sort of hoping for a response of, "Maybe this is your body's way of telling you it is OK to pump just a few times/day for now since you are old now and don't know if you will have another baby to do this for." ;)

You don't have to be done if you don't want to be done. But it sounded like you do want to be done.

On that note it is clearly your body saying it is OK to pump just a few times/day for now since you are old now and don't know if you will have another baby to do this for.

Read this just as I got done pumping! OK...guess I'll try no pump and some cabbage leaves along with compression. I was sort of hoping for a response of, "Maybe this is your body's way of telling you it is OK to pump just a few times/day for now since you are old now and don't know if you will have another baby to do this for." ;)

I nursed my kids until they were 2 1/2. I am not suggesting you have to quit. ;)

When i was cutting down on pumping after bringing Possum home from NICU, as he was nursing so i didn't need to pump, i just reduced the time a little at a time. I had been double pumping every 3 hours round the clock for months. If you are double pumping for 15 mins each time try pumping one side for 12 and the other for 10. Then at the next pumping session switch sides So the longer time is the one you last pumped. So more like mimicking nursing 1 baby, not 'feeding' twins. Then gradually cut the time down over a few days then cut a pumping session until you are at the required amount you want.

I'm still nursing Possum just morning and night :)

You don't have to be done if you don't want to be done. But it sounded like you do want to be done.

On that note it is clearly your body saying it is OK to pump just a few times/day for now since you are old now and don't know if you will have another baby to do this for.

You do not need to stop but when you want to stop one normal pumping session then give your body a week to adjust. Then cut another one. When you get to the last one express in the shower a couple of times. Some milk will probably hang around a while. But not enough to cause discomfort.