Menu

I am so confused!!! More luggage questions

According to the Delta website, our carry on bags must be 22 x 14 x 9...but then I see on the Wal-mart site a FAA approved bag for carry on that measures 20 x 12 x 11? So how does that work?

I have also been trying to find a rolling duffle bag and none of them are the measurments as they are stated on the Delta site...yes, I know that the bags are sqishable and that I wouldn't have to fill them...but it just seems crazy to try and find exactly what would work. Please help me in my confusion!!! THANKS!!!!

American has the same dimensions. They also have a little box when you get there that states, "your bag must fit in this box or you need to check it!"

I am not playing around with guessing if another bag is ok. I just purchased a 22x9x14 bag at Costco, Kirkland brand.

I don't want to get stuck with a new bag AND check in fees.

Dawn

I guess it works because Wal Mart is doing the math on overall dimensions. I would work with the Delta sizes and find a bag that is that dimension. I have never actually seen anyone have an issue, but I have a friend who travels all the time for work. Recently the airport staff was all over him about his carry-on. It's the same bag he always uses, but someone was having a bad day.

I would try to avoid checking luggage if that's possible. Each of you will be allowed a bag pack/laptopcase/purse and one carry-on. Since you are going where it will be warm, clothes are smaller. We often will wear our long pants/jeans on the plane to avoid having to put them in the suitcase. Plus with the a/c on, sometimes it just feels better to have long pants on.

You might be able to put some of your or your husband's clothes into one of the kids suitcases. You might be able to pack several of your kids into one suitcase.

If you have easy access to laundry that would be the way to go.

If you end up having to check a bag, the PP who mentioned putting a little of eveyone's clothes into that bag is the way to go. That way no one is without their full wardrobe should your luggage get delayed. It is only likely to happen if there is a delay or cancellation at the airport.

Another piece of advice. Go Delta.com and see what size plane you are flying in. If it is a smaller plane (sometimes one leg of the flight will be a smaller plane as in 3 seats across). You will be required to gate check your luggage. That means at the gate when you board the plane, they will take your luggage and put it in the baggage area and give it back to you when you deplane. Pretty much anything that rolls will qualify for gate check. You might pack differently if you know you won't have access to that luggage.

If you are buying new, look for spinner wheels. They will move in all directions and appear to be easier to move around as you are walking.

Edited by KatieinMich

I guess it works because Wal Mart is doing the math on overall dimensions. I would work with the Delta sizes and find a bag that is that dimension. I have never actually seen anyone have an issue, but I have a friend who travels all the time for work. Recently the airport staff was all over him about his carry-on. It's the same bag he always uses, but someone was having a bad day.

I would try to avoid checking luggage if that's possible. Each of you will be allowed a bag pack/laptopcase/purse and one carry-on. Since you are going where it will be warm, clothes are smaller. We often will wear our long pants/jeans on the plane to avoid having to put them in the suitcase. Plus with the a/c on, sometimes it just feels better to have long pants on.

You might be able to put some of your or your husband's clothes into one of the kids suitcases. You might be able to pack several of your kids into one suitcase.

If you have easy access to laundry that would be the way to go.

If you end up having to check a bag, the PP who mentioned putting a little of eveyone's clothes into that bag is the way to go. That way no one is without their full wardrobe should your luggage get delayed. It is only likely to happen if there is a delay or cancellation at the airport.

Another piece of advice. Go Delta.com and see what size plane you are flying in. If it is a smaller plane (sometimes one leg of the flight will be a smaller plane as in 3 seats across). You will be required to gate check your luggage. That means at the gate when you board the plane, they will take your luggage and put it in the baggage area and give it back to you when you deplane. Pretty much anything that rolls will qualify for gate check. You might pack differently if you know you won't have access to that luggage.

If you are buying new, look for spinner wheels. They will move in all directions and appear to be easier to move around as you are walking.

do they charge for gate check in then? If so, what a hoax. I will look to see what size plan we are on...thanks.

do they charge for gate check in then? If so, what a hoax. I will look to see what size plan we are on...thanks.

No, they just give you a valet tag and take your bag as you get to the door of the plane and then give it to you when you get off. They do that on smaller planes bec there isn't enough overhead space.

According to the Delta website, our carry on bags must be 22 x 14 x 9...but then I see on the Wal-mart site a FAA approved bag for carry on that measures 20 x 12 x 11? So how does that work?

I have also been trying to find a rolling duffle bag and none of them are the measurments as they are stated on the Delta site...yes, I know that the bags are sqishable and that I wouldn't have to fill them...but it just seems crazy to try and find exactly what would work. Please help me in my confusion!!! THANKS!!!!

The standard is 45 linear inches - the Walmart bag is 20+12+11=43, which is smaller than the standard 22+14+9=45. Either will work fine. The airlines won't care as long as they are "standard carry-on" in general.

Edited by Susan in TN

We're light packers. I can pack each of my kids into a small pilot case and a toiletries carryon or backpack. We don't fly though. We're only 11 hours from WDW so we drive. I bought my kids' luggage from Disney online, but they don't have anything similar to it anymore. It was a small set with a small pilot case, a carryon mini-duffel and a small backpack. (Think pre-school/daycare size backpack. Really small!) We use the backpacks for in the car stuff. Coloring books, DvDs, tablets. etc. The carryon is for socks/undies. The pilot case is for their clothing. Toiletries go in the adults' luggage.

No they don't. It is the same process for strollers, carseats, etc. They just take it from you as you board the plane and give it back when you get off the plane. We just flew two weeks ago and our plane from Chicago to Houston was a small one. We took our purses, laptop, etc. and had to give up the wheeled carry-on at the gate. No big deal really. Just thought I would point it out as you won't have access to that during the flight.

Edited by KatieinMich

The standard is 45 linear inches - the Walmart bag is 20+12+11=43, which is smaller than the standard 22+14+9=45. Either will work fine. The airlines won't care as long as they are "standard carry-on" in general.

so then this one would work too? right? would you be comfortable buying these not knowing 100% that they would fit in the overhead compartment?

Rockland Luggage Rolling 22 Inch Duffle Bag: Amazon.com: Clothing

there are dimensional inches (total allowed) and then there are the overhead bins and/or space under the seat to put your bag. if your bag won't fit in one of those places, you have to check it. some airlines will gate check for free if your bag wont fit (and you get to pick it up at the gate instead of waiting at baggage claim).

because so many people are doing carry-on these days, there's less room for carry-on baggage.

so then this one would work too? right? would you be comfortable buying these not knowing 100% that they would fit in the overhead compartment?

Rockland Luggage Rolling 22 Inch Duffle Bag: Amazon.com: Clothing

Since it is soft sided, I have a hard time believing it won't fit in an overhead bin unless you are flying on a teeny tiny commuter plane. I've seen massive (waaaay over limit) internal frame packs stuffed into overhead compartments. Also my violin, which is not in any way a standard shape and over the inches limit. You can call the airlines just to double check, but I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

On all the flights we took this summer, announcements were made about the flights being packed to capacity, but we never had trouble fitting our things in the overhead.

Edited by Susan in TN