Menu

Is there such thing as... (cooking Q.)

Yup. It's called cast iron. :D

That's what I was thinking!

I did see on a cooking show once (Alton Brown, maybe??) how it's crazy to spend lots of money for a nonstick skillet, because none of them last more than a year or two. So the guy recommended just going to Target or WalMart and getting a super cheap one, and just replacing it every year or two (although our WalMart special is on year 3 and just now starting to look like it needs replacing). It seems wasteful, but if you really want a non-stick finish and don't want cast iron, I think it's the way to go.

The Ikea ones seem to last a couple of years. Of course, the big issue with non-stick / Teflon is that you cannot use metal utensils then blame it on the pan when it turns "stick"! My mind is apparently Teflon coated, because no matter how many pans we go through the lesson never sticks.

You get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap pan every year and it wears out that quickly. Or you can spend more and it will last a long time. We have some Caeflon (Caephlon?) that has lasted and it is not cheap. They are occasionally on sale. I like cast iron too, but it does need care and I think new cast iron isn't as good as old cast iron.

Edited by OrganicAnn

Define arm and a leg. :)

Anolon Advanced - there's a set of Anolon Pro for less than 200 on amazon right now. Ours is basically the same set, but has different handles. If you watch them, the prices fluctuate a LOT during certain times of the year. Near Christmas it got up around 500 - but we got a set for about 150 - crazy! Our set does have two saute pans instead of just one.

We've had ours for 4 years so far, and they all still look new. We don't use metal utensils on them, and we don't put them in the dishwasher (could, but don't) but I've been extremely happy with this set. I would definitely recommend them.

I would also definitely recommend cast iron, though. We just don't have a whole set of those. I have a big chef's pan size and a muffin pan for corn muffins. :)

All right then. :tongue_smilie:

Another question: How do you make your cast iron skillet non-stick without adding tons of oil?

Once it is seasoned you only need a little oil. Think sprays. Or you can wipe it down with oil after you wash it. I love my well seasoned cast iron.

Also cook onions or mushrooms first then add the other ingredients.

You get what you pay for. You can buy a cheap pan every year and it wears out that quickly. Or you can spend more and it will last a long time. We have some Caeflon (Caephlon?) that has lasted and it is not cheap. They are occasionally on sale. I like cast iron too, but it does need care and I think new cast iron isn't as good as old cast iron.

You can get a big Calphalon pan for about $50 at Target. I have found that IF I don't use metal utensils AND I don't put it in the dishwasher, it will last at least several years. If, on the other hand, you put it in the dishwasher and use metal utensils, it wears out much, much quicker.