Menu

The comma at the end of the word before a "too"

Is it a firm rule? What would you do?  

1. 1. Is it a firm rule? What would you do?

• Yes, it's a firm rule.
    • No, it's not a firm rule.
    • Add it to the books.
    • Don't add it to the books.
    • I'm not sure.

Isn't that a rule? Are you not always suppose to put a comma at the end of the word before the "too" as in also? (Example: I want to go, too.) Or is it optional like the Oxford comma? I ask because my children are reading kid books with that comma missing and I am thinking about putting a comma in. How can I expect them to remember the rule if books aren't using it? Or am I wrong about that being a rule?

What do you do?

The poll is multiple choice!

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

I googled it, and it looks like it is not a firm rule. At least not any longer.

In fact, it looks like the modern trend is away from unneeded commas.

Looks like the rule is to use the comma to emphasize an abrupt change of thought . . .

"I don't like you, but I love you, too."

But avoid them when it is just a random too such as . . .

"I like bananas, and I like oranges too."

What says the hive? Have I got it?

In fact, it looks like the modern trend is away from unneeded commas.

But that isn't a "trend." It has always been thus.

If I were writing something formal, professional, I'd use the comma. If I were writing something informal, such as a message on a discussion forum like this one, I probably wouldn't use it.

There are a number of rules like that with which I'm familiar but which I don't commonly use anymore because no one else does and it now makes your writing look sort of stilted or old-fashioned or something.

Hmm. I've noticed that I tend to put a lot of commas in the middle of sentences when I'm writing. I've been taking them out because I thought it looked too informal. But I strive for a more professional/gramaticly correct look when I write here or on my blog. I guess I am old-fashioned. :tongue_smilie:

When I write more seriously, such as for something official, I tend to put more in - by the rules, of course. Here and on my blog? Eh, forget it. I'll use some, but I'm not fussy about it.

It may depend on what annoys you more when you're reading - extra commas that don't belong or no commas in the places they do belong. I'm WAY more annoyed by the extra commas.