Menu

Can I change orthodontists?

DD10 has been seeing an orthodontist for two years. She should be ready for braces soon (my guess is within a few months). The orthodontist office is friendly, fairly prompt and I have no problem with them. Most of the work so far has been recommendations he's made on pulling teeth. We did pay $250 for an initial examination but have not paid anything else. My guess was that he would end up making money once she started the actual process of braces.

DD12 also needs orthodontic work but only one orthodontist would work with her due to her significant autism. We plan on putting on 4 brackets in a few weeks and seeing how she will tolerate them. If she does well, we will add on brackets. If the braces won't work, she will probably need surgical correction on several teeth. I love this orthodontist as she is patient and worked hard to get x-rays for my daughter. She spent a lot of time consulting with both our dentist and oral surgeon to make sure that the right decision was made, both medically and emotionally.

I would like to move dd10 to dd12's orthodontist. Is that possible? I feel bad that the first ortho invested time into dd10 but it seems silly to drive to two different offices when I could take them both in at once.

I don't know of any reason why I couldn't change, but that's why I'm asking. ;) If it's considered bad form to change, I would offer to pay him for the office visits we had where he made suggestions. (Of course, I don't like parting myself from money so I don't want to unless necessary).

If dd10 already had braces, I think that it would be trickier to change. Since she doesn't, I think you should absolutely change. Orthodontists run a business. Business people always know that sometimes you will invest time into something that won't pan out. There is no reason you should feel guilt about changing, it happens all the time.

DD10 has been seeing an orthodontist for two years. She should be ready for braces soon (my guess is within a few months). The orthodontist office is friendly, fairly prompt and I have no problem with them. Most of the work so far has been recommendations he's made on pulling teeth. We did pay $250 for an initial examination but have not paid anything else. My guess was that he would end up making money once she started the actual process of braces.

DD12 also needs orthodontic work but only one orthodontist would work with her due to her significant autism. We plan on putting on 4 brackets in a few weeks and seeing how she will tolerate them. If she does well, we will add on brackets. If the braces won't work, she will probably need surgical correction on several teeth. I love this orthodontist as she is patient and worked hard to get x-rays for my daughter. She spent a lot of time consulting with both our dentist and oral surgeon to make sure that the right decision was made, both medically and emotionally.

I would like to move dd10 to dd12's orthodontist. Is that possible? I feel bad that the first ortho invested time into dd10 but it seems silly to drive to two different offices when I could take them both in at once.

Did you sign a contract? it is tricky to change when you have already signed a contract. They can make you pay the balance even though you go to someone else to finish the work.

I'd change. If he sends you a bill for work done - fine. I'm sure he is working on the assumption he will make enough money to cover it when the braces go on. Is it awkward - yes. Will he be disappointed - probably. But unless you signed something saying you would get braces there, you are not obligates and should do what works for your family.

I'd change. If he sends you a bill for work done - fine. I'm sure he is working on the assumption he will make enough money to cover it when the braces go on. Is it awkward - yes. Will he be disappointed - probably. But unless you signed something saying you would get braces there, you are not obligates and should do what works for your family.

:iagree:

My DD saw another orthodontist right next to our dentist until right before she got braces. We didn't sign a contract. I felt bad that the time was invested but it turns out that orthodontist doesn't bill our insurance while the one closer to my house does (and they didn't mention this). I wasn't paying upfront and the orthodontist who is closer did all the braces on my brothers and sisters. I don't see any reason you couldn't change unless you entered into a contract, usually that means money down.