Menu

Chicken question

We recently had a chicken die in an accident (we were on vacation, neighbor young boy involved, no one knows exactly what happened).

Is it possible to introduce a new (full grown) hen to an existing flock of three hens that have been together since birth? We have three golden sex-link hens. We are not sure what breed we can get -- it may be completely different from our hens. Is there anything we could do to improve our chances of success?

TIA

We've done it. There were a couple of fights to establish pecking order but it all resolved quite quickly. Our hens tend to gather with who they "know" from earlier in life. It might be better to get two more hens so they would have a "friend." This is just what I have noticed with our small flock anyway.

I do it all the time. It's best done at night. I also have a friend who has been raising chickens for 2 decades. She swears by tossing flour all over the other birds as you add new ones (at night).

I've also put new birds in pens right on the other side of the main pen. They can check each other out that way. After a few days, I put them together outside, and they seem to do fine. The newer ones do need a bit of help finding their way back to the main pen. I usually wait at the main gate, and one of my kids, walks behind the crowd, herding them my way. It seems to work. They do have issues roosting at times. Everyone likes their particular spot, although they seem to work it out fine.

I've never had a chicken kill another chicken, although they do sometimes tangle at first.

Edited by LibraryLover

I do it all the time. It's best done at night. I also have a friend who has been raising chickens for 2 decades. She swears by tossing flour all over the other birds as you add new ones (at night).

I've also put new birds in pens right on the other side of the main pen. They can check each other out that way. After a few days, I put them together outside, and they seem to do fine. The newer ones do need a bit of help finding their way back to the main pen. I usually wait at the main gate, and one of my kids, walks behind the crowd, herding them my way. It seems to work. They do have issues roosting at times. Everyone likes their particular spot, although they seem to work it out fine.

I've never had a chicken kill another chicken, although they do sometimes tangle at first.

:confused::confused: why?