Menu

A few questions for those who head cover!

Well, I am starting to cover my hair a little bit. Oh my. I can't tell you how SPECIAL it feels and how CLOSE to the Lord I have felt when I have done that and began reading my Bible. It's exciting and emotional at the same time.

I'm a Christian who attends church sometimes in jeans but mostly slacks or skirt or dress and who attends a pretty standard "blended" worship service. I play music and sing almost every week. Pretty much it would probably shock people I'm doing this. LOL. NO ONE else in our congregation covers. NO ONE. I've grown up never having to cover or knowing anyone personally who covers. Biblically it has been explained to me as a cultural thing (and I've read so much lately to explain many interpretations) and that is honestly all I thought of it. Until a few days ago.

God has just spoken to me in a quiet, mysterious way. I feel humbled. I feel joyful to do this. My husband is ok with it, so far. I want to start "quietly" covering, in my house, and maybe eventually in public. I want to start for the right reasons. I've never thought it was necessary. Still don't, but I do feel called to do so, so I can reflect better on God during my devotions and throughout the day as I homeschool. At this point, I'm not seeing it as something I need to do for my husband, but God alone. Also, I don't want to make my daughter cover. I want be an example to her and allow God to speak to her in His way and time.

I don't know how to let my parents and friends know. :tongue_smilie: I guess I just need to know if there's anyone out there like me, you know? I've looked at threads and happened to find some info to help me but thought I'd start another thread.

I only cover during formal worship (where a call to worship is presented), and I just started wearing a covering and let it go. (I usually wear a hat, but sometimes wear a cloth cover -depending on my mood- and keep a shawl in my bag in case I forget to wear my headcovering when I leave the house :tongue_smilie:.) Some people asked, most didn't. It wasn't a big deal, really.

ETA: I started covering when we attended a church were a handful of women covered and have continued the practice wherever we move. Currently, my daughters and I are the only ones who cover regularly in our church.

Well, I am starting to cover my hair a little bit. Oh my. I can't tell you how SPECIAL it feels and how CLOSE to the Lord I have felt when I have done that and began reading my Bible. It's exciting and emotional at the same time.

I'm a Christian who attends church sometimes in jeans but mostly slacks or skirt or dress and who attends a pretty standard "blended" worship service. I play music and sing almost every week. Pretty much it would probably shock people I'm doing this. LOL. NO ONE else in our congregation covers. NO ONE. I've grown up never having to cover or knowing anyone personally who covers. Biblically it has been explained to me as a cultural thing (and I've read so much lately to explain many interpretations) and that is honestly all I thought of it. Until a few days ago.

God has just spoken to me in a quiet, mysterious way. I feel humbled. I feel joyful to do this. My husband is ok with it, so far. I want to start "quietly" covering, in my house, and maybe eventually in public. I want to start for the right reasons. I've never thought it was necessary. Still don't, but I do feel called to do so, so I can reflect better on God during my devotions and throughout the day as I homeschool. At this point, I'm not seeing it as something I need to do for my husband, but God alone. Also, I don't want to make my daughter cover. I want be an example to her and allow God to speak to her in His way and time.

I don't know how to let my parents and friends know. :tongue_smilie: I guess I just need to know if there's anyone out there like me, you know? I've looked at threads and happened to find some info to help me but thought I'd start another thread.

I loved covering--I began in grad school and wore one full time for about 8 years. I loved the fact that people asked about it and gave me a chance to witness to non-believers, and I loved the fact that it made something as simple as doing my hair in the morning a religious act, that it made it meaningful, really.

I was the same as you. No one else covered in my church, family (I was the only Christian). I felt special covering. I felt special that God had convicted me of something in the Bible that many other good Christians weren't doing.

Even though I'm not a Christian anymore, I still try to find ways to wear my hair up in pretty scarves etc (my Christian coverings _weren't_ pretty). I just like it.

Oooh, as far as "how to explain" sometimes I'd just say, "It comes from a passage in the New Testament," if I needed a quick answer. If I needed more than that, I'd explain where it was in the Bible, 1 Cor 11, of course, and what it said. If I had a long time to sit with my Christian friends, we might read and discuss it together. It depended on who I was talking too.

Edited by Ipsey

I have not wanted to explain to people yet, so at church I have a couple of wider headbands from this site.

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/

I am covering my head, but, in no way making a big deal about it. I figure if later I cover more of my head while I am out, I can just say "Well, I have been doing it for a year, you have only just noticed?"

It is a private thing between me and God, not something I want to call great attention to.

My reasoning was that covering is taught by Paul in 1 Cor 11 and a specific garment is not taught. I eventually went to skirts and dresses only so I wasn't a stumbling block but now I am wearing pants and uncovered. What a decade. :001_smile:

I only cover at church and occasionally at home during prayers.

The advice my priest gave to me when I was thinking about it was this, "It is fine to cover, but don't do anything to draw attention to yourself."

This is the mix of humility and desire I needed to embrace, for it to be a truly spiritual experience. Sometimes, I choose not to cover if I feel that it would in some way draw attention to myself, or if I "want" it do draw attention to myself.

Clear as mud? ;)

There are plenty of people out there like you. Though I've worn strictly skirts for 15yrs, I bought my first pair of jeans in 15yrs this past winter. I go back and forth. I used to cover ALL the time, now it's most of the time, but ALWAYS for service (I refuse to enter a service without one). I wear a variety of coverings for two reasons. 1) I like to. 2) I don't believe in a prescribed covering and many people don't realise that there doesn't have to be a prescribed covering. Scriptures and Tradition speak to covering, not how, how much, what material, how many gathers or pleats are permitted, how long it must be, etc. Nowhere does it say or suggest that it has to be certain colours or make you feel like a wallflower. All of that is personal and left to the convictions of the person wearing it. I like colourful. I know darker is appreciated at monasteries. I like my snoods, fan-styled, tichels, scarves, and pashminas. Solid colour, floral, silk, brocade, cotton, chiffon. My point is to let people know that you shouldn't feel "uncomfortable" to want to cover. You can achieve comfort and (if it matters to you) style while covering just as much as you can achieve calmness and modesty while covering.

Different faiths have different reasons for covering. I've found that those reasons can also vary even in Christianity. And, yes, I cover even while wearing jeans. What is on my head is there for different reasons than what is on my bottom half.

Please let me know if you need any coverings sewn for you. It is part of my business and I am able to customize to what my clients want.

Edited by mommaduck

There are plenty of people out there like you. Though I've worn strictly skirts for 15yrs, I bought my first pair of jeans in 15yrs this past winter. I go back and forth. I used to cover ALL the time, now it's most of the time, but ALWAYS for service (I refuse to enter a service without one). I wear a variety of coverings for two reasons. 1) I like to. 2) I don't believe in a prescribed covering and many people don't realise that there doesn't have to be a prescribed covering. Scriptures and Tradition speak to covering, not how, how much, what material, how many gathers or pleats are permitted, how long it must be, etc. Nowhere does it say or suggest that it has to be certain colours or make you feel like a wallflower. All of that is personal and left to the convictions of the person wearing it. I like colourful. I know darker is appreciated at monasteries. I like my snoods, fan-styled, tichels, scarves, and pashminas. Solid colour, floral, silk, brocade, cotton, chiffon. My point is to let people know that you should feel "uncomfortable" to want to cover. You can achieve comfort and (if it matters to you) style while covering just as much as you can achieve calmness and modesty while covering.

Different faiths have different reasons for covering. I've found that those reasons can also vary even in Christianity. And, yes, I cover even while wearing jeans. What is on my head is there for different reasons than what is on my bottom half.

Please let me know if you need any coverings sewn for you. It is part of my business and I am able to customize to what my clients want.

Mommaduck, you're swell. :001_smile:

This is how I feel, too. I cover when we meet together as a church for fellowship. I used to cover all the time. I also sometimes wear pants and a headcovering. The two are not related, IMO.

Bless you, OP, as you follow the Holy Spirit's leading on covering.

Covering has become a sacred thing to me also - just since March. I cover full time, but I am kind of a farm-y lady so I think people just think it goes with my "look". My church is a liberal Baptist where it isn't even on the radar that people would do that. I mentioned casually to a friend there that I felt like I stood out and she said she never even noticed it. :lol: I think I don't stand out at all. Mine are mostly like this.

I love that this physical act I do everyday reminds me to be more godly. And while I do think Christians aren't supposed to *try* to call attention to themselves for its own sake, I think being a Christian (if one is doing it right - which I seldom do) should make one stand out. Being a Christ follower in our world is totally counter to the world we live in. It should make us look nuts. So I don't worry overly much about head covering. Just my $.02.

Oh, I so appreciate all your replies. It's extremely helpful along this road! I am taking to heart your advice...this is definitely such a personal thing and I do not want to draw attention when out, etc. Glad to hear opinions on covering vs dress/jeans.

Covering has become a sacred thing to me also - just since March. I cover full time, but I am kind of a farm-y lady so I think people just think it goes with my "look". My church is a liberal Baptist where it isn't even on the radar that people would do that. I mentioned casually to a friend there that I felt like I stood out and she said she never even noticed it. :lol: I think I don't stand out at all. Mine are mostly like this.

I love that this physical act I do everyday reminds me to be more godly. And while I do think Christians aren't supposed to *try* to call attention to themselves for its own sake, I think being a Christian (if one is doing it right - which I seldom do) should make one stand out. Being a Christ follower in our world is totally counter to the world we live in. It should make us look nuts. So I don't worry overly much about head covering. Just my $.02.

:) I like that your friend never noticed! LOL!

Interestingly, today, as I opened up the Bible, it literally opened up to scripture in Isaiah. Concerning "garlands of grace," and I had seen that business on Etsy yesterday. I did not know where that scripture was and had never heard of it in the Bible before! I mean- it was the FIRST page I opened up to and I decided to go ahead and read! LOL! I took it as confirmation though on how God is leading me..and feel so thankful (no matter where I get my coverings!) for His direction.

God has just spoken to me in a quiet, mysterious way. I feel humbled. I feel joyful to do this. My husband is ok with it, so far. I want to start "quietly" covering, in my house, and maybe eventually in public. I want to start for the right reasons. I've never thought it was necessary. Still don't, but I do feel called to do so, so I can reflect better on God during my devotions and throughout the day as I homeschool. .

Good for you. That's awesome. You will know the reason some day, I am sure.

People think this is whacked but God specifically let me know to wear no makeup and wear baggy clothes one time when I was preaching/speaking at a homeless mission. This was hard. I'm sure I was vain about my appearance, being a young, somewhat attractive woman.

I did it. It was amazing. People actually lined up to talk to me afterward, telling me that they saw that I had something they wanted and that I knew what I was talking about in reference to deliverance.

It wasn't ME they connected with that day, because I got out of the way.

So I get it. Sometimes something is just for you, and for a reason. Everyone else doesn't have to get it, nor does it apply to them.

ETA: I have never covered my head it my life. I just thought I'd point that out so you know that people who do not do this are supporting you and get it.

Funny -- I could have written your OP. I feel like God has been speaking to me, too. I've been questioning if this is something I should do (because I know nobody else who does!) but I guess that is not a good reason to do or not do something. :001_huh:

Interestingly, today, as I opened up the Bible, it literally opened up to scripture in Isaiah. Concerning "garlands of grace," and I had seen that business on Etsy yesterday. I did not know where that scripture was and had never heard of it in the Bible before! I mean- it was the FIRST page I opened up to and I decided to go ahead and read! LOL! I took it as confirmation though on how God is leading me..and feel so thankful (no matter where I get my coverings!) for His direction.

:001_smile: Many people order from a variety of places. No one takes offense. I'm part of a couple of groups of ladies that make coverings (and some of us make a variety of other items as well). I'm part of a group of EO seamstresses and a group of EO/RC seamstresses (for those interested, we have a page on FB where a variety of independent business owners. Regardless of our faith though, we respect the backgrounds of our clients as many of us have come from various backgrounds. The group was simply formed that way due to a need that had been created).

Edited by mommaduck

:001_smile: Many people order from a variety of places. No one takes offense. I'm part of a couple of groups of ladies that make coverings (and some of us make a variety of other items as well). I'm part of a group of EO seamstresses and a group of EO/RC seamstresses (for those interested, we have a page on FB where a variety of independent business owners. Regardless of our faith though, we respect the backgrounds of our clients as many of us have come from various backgrounds. The group was simply formed that way due to a need that had been created).

That's wonderful! There are so many varieties and styles out there, I'm finding out, I'm a little overwhelmed but I will get through it. :)

Good for you. That's awesome. You will know the reason some day, I am sure.

People think this is whacked but God specifically let me know to wear no makeup and wear baggy clothes one time when I was preaching/speaking at a homeless mission. This was hard. I'm sure I was vain about my appearance, being a young, somewhat attractive woman.

I did it. It was amazing. People actually lined up to talk to me afterward, telling me that they saw that I had something they wanted and that I knew what I was talking about in reference to deliverance.

It wasn't ME they connected with that day, because I got out of the way.

So I get it. Sometimes something is just for you, and for a reason. Everyone else doesn't have to get it, nor does it apply to them.

ETA: I have never covered my head it my life. I just thought I'd point that out so you know that people who do not do this are supporting you and get it.

Wow. I thank you for responding and sharing this. It's amazing! Your testimony is encouraging.

I could of wrote the OP too. I dont know anyone who covers. Not my friends, family, neighbors, church goers, etc. BUT... I felt led to it. I have been wearing all skirts for about 2yrs. I started out with scarves but i wanted snoods, I now have a few and I feel GOOD. I feel spiritually happy.