Menu

Just saw two really good movies

Ds and I went to our favorite art house cinema and saw

Beasts of The Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom.

Both are artsy, both feature young girls as leads--very, very interesting in totally different ways!

The first was set in a sort of dystopian community, where a group of adults with some children live in a flood plain, in extreme poverty/dirt/grunge. It's SO GOOD! Uplifting and heartbreaking and just sucks you in. I love movies where you enter in and experience something foreign and new--Winter's Bone was like this to me.

The second was sort of a coming of age story--imagine if the Coen Brothers did that sort of movie. Frances McDormid (who is married to one of them!) play a mom, Bruce Willis plays the island's cop, and two newcomers play 12yos who fall in love in a super-quirky, charming way. Not really for kids, but maybe for mid-teens (the 12's run away together on the island). It's fantastic!!

Have YOU seen anything lately? Have you seen these? I had such a great time!!!

I haven't seen Beasts yet, but I loved Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson films usually only reveal themselves to me over repeat viewings, and I'd like to get back to see it again before it leaves the theatres just to focus on the "postcard" visuals, and wrap my head around floods. :tongue_smilie: I'll be pre-ordering the Blu-ray the second it's available (just checked amazon... that would be now :D ).

SPOILER ALERT----

Let me ask you, Kathy--I saw the beasts (aurochs) as metaphorical symbols. I am familiar with them as a sort of wild cow, not a wild boar, and the teacher had a cow/auroch on her tatoo--but I believe the little girl saw them as a pig/boar because that's the kind of pet she had.

In the description of the movie, it says the melting released real aurochs--do you think they were real (the other little girls did run from something near the end, when she confronts them) or just metaphors?

SPOILER ALERT----

Let me ask you, Kathy--I saw the beasts (aurochs) as metaphorical symbols. I am familiar with them as a sort of wild cow, not a wild boar, and the teacher had a cow/auroch on her tatoo--but I believe the little girl saw them as a pig/boar because that's the kind of pet she had.

In the description of the movie, it says the melting released real aurochs--do you think they were real (the other little girls did run from something near the end, when she confronts them) or just metaphors?

Chris, I hadn't read that movie description before...hmmmm :confused:...something to think about. The bayou community probably believed in the story that those beasts would be released when the ice cap melted. But I think that I have to agree with you that the beasts were metaphors here. The unstoppable forces existing beyond Hushpuppy's control: losing her father to death and also possibly her community to the flooding were really what was chasing Hushpuppy and the other girls. And at the end, she stood up to those fears when she confronted the beast face to face. Well, that's my interpretation at least.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks--I discuss these cool movies with ds, but I'd like to go deeper sometimes!

BTW, have you seen Tree of Life? :;):

It's fun to think about the depths of a film like that one. Dh, dd, and I have all been casually discussing Beasts since we saw it last week. I think it just took us all by surprise.:)

Nope, we haven't seen Tree of Life (yet;)). We missed it earlier this summer when it was showing at the Westhampton (our indie theater in Richmond).