Menu

What to do? Rod & Staff Phonics/Spelling

AnointedHsMom

I need some help deciding whether to stay the course, change completly, or change grade levels in R&S. Here's the background.

My 13 year old son had a tough time learning to read. He reads fine now but hates to read. His spelling leaves much to be desired. I feel like he needs to go through a complete phonics program and upon recommendation and research I put him in R&S Phonics 2 and R&S Spelling 2. He's doing ok with it but I've been a bit frustrated with the TM for the phonics. It appears to assume I know all the rules and there are some that I don't know. For instance it will give the spellings for long I and then tell me to ask him how he will know which one to use. It doesn't tell me how to know and I'm not sure about this one. It gives me no answer to that question and assumes I know this. I'm sure I should know this but I don't. :huh:

The spelling is ok but I wonder if I shouldn't move him up in grade level with the spelling. He's on week 11 or 12 and has aced every spelling test so far. From reading here on WTM I understand that 3rd grade and 4th grade ramp up the phonics. He's been doing 2 full lessons a day in the spelling and 4 lessons a day in the phonics. He knows a great deal of phonics but not all of it. I wanted a phonics course that would take him through it all without taking too much time each day and that he could complete at a faster pace due to his age.

So ladies what do you think? Should I stick with the R&S as I have been because it will all work out in the end? Or should I drop it completely and do something else? Or should I drop the Phonics and bump him up in the spelling to compensate for dropping the phonics (since the spelling appears to ramp up the phonics component in 3rd & 4th) I was going to keep with the spelling at a faster pace.

I don't know what to do. I'm :banghead: right now. I want R&S to work because it appears to be the best choice for what I want. I'm just not sure about it.

Help!

I haven't used R&S phonics/spelling, but I can say I love All About Spelling. Every rule, every step, every explanation, every everything is right there at your finger tips. I think it would be great for older struggling spellers. I know I love it with my 8 y/o and am glad I found it when I did.

I love R&S phonics and used it with both of my children, and would with any future kiddos.

I felt the T.M. was helpful. The only time I can think of it saying something like you mentioned, is when it has already gone over that rule in the program. So if you are doing the daily lessons with him then you should know the answer (or at least which page in the workbook to go back to to find the answer!)

The spelling is quite a bit easier than other programs. I would think the 2nd would be way too easy. My 5th grader uses it a year ahead and still complains that the words are way too easy. But I have her do it for the phonics review and the vocab. work. For my struggling speller, grade level works just fine.

I haven't used R&S phonics/spelling, but I can say I love All About Spelling. Every rule, every step, every explanation, every everything is right there at your finger tips. I think it would be great for older struggling spellers. I know I love it with my 8 y/o and am glad I found it when I did.

I have and LOVE AAS but I can't seem to get it done consistently and it will take much longer to get through all the levels. Given his age I wanted to find another phonics program that wouldn't take that long since I just want to make sure he goes through a complete phonics program. I still am considering using AAS with him for spelling though.

R&S created this for older learners who need to get a sturdier phonics base. I would use it instead of going through phonics 2 at an accelerated pace.

I did not know about this! Thanks Clear Creek.

The only time I can think of it saying something like you mentioned, is when it has already gone over that rule in the program. So if you are doing the daily lessons with him then you should know the answer (or at least which page in the workbook to go back to to find the answer!)

I thought the same thing. I had not been doing these first lessons with him unless he didn't understand something. When he missed a few on a page I went to the TM and read through the lessons. I figured it was in the teaching part. I couldn't find the answer in any of the lessons.

I'm going to look more closely at the set that Clear Creek linked and ponder AAS again. And I'm going to make sure that my 6 year old has a full phonics program before he's 10 LOL. Preferably a few years before he's 10 :tongue_smilie:

We use R&S Phonics, and I know what you mean about the 2nd grade TM. It's not as thorough. The 1st grade TM is where the teaching is. I think they assume that if you are using the 2nd grade phonics, then you've already gone through the 1st grade program and know the rules. You could either get the 1st grade TMs and brush up on the rules yourself, or try one of the other programs suggested.

It's hard with older students. They have missed essential things, but it's so frustrating to spend so much time on something "behind". Just don't skimp a second time! I'm right where you are at with adults. 1st and 2nd grade phonics. And also in math. They don't have the addition tables down. And to be honest, I don't have them down COLD either. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't been using yesphonics for long, so I really don't dare recommend it. It's a more passively taught Spalding. I'm hoping this will be the one I can stick with comfortably, but...time will tell.