Menu

I can't afford ds's Intuniv!

Is there a generic? last time i had trouble w insurance not covering the generic, the pharmacy just called my doctor and asked them to change it to the generic. I was without insurance for a while, and we handled my son's most expensive med with a combination of free samples from the doc, and a program by the pharmaceutical company which gives out freebies depending on your income (hubby was between jobs). You could also call the doctor's office and ask them to give you an rx of something he thinks will work but which costs less, because obviously if you arent able to buy it, its not going to work!

Good grief, that price is insane! Call your doctor and let him know that it is $190 and that's NOT DO-ABLE! Perhaps he can throw some samples your way, and sometimes they have coupons from the company. Beyond that, can he find something else to prescribe?

Last year there were cards that came with the samples that offered a co-pay of just $15 for the first year's refills. You might contact the company and see if they are still offering that deal or a new one.

It looks like the guafacine is single dose per day and the Intuniv brand is the only one that is extended release.

Edited by MomatHWTK

Call other pharmacies in your area as well. The same drug can be priced dramatically different at different drug stores. I moved one of my prescriptions recently from Walgreens to Kroger because it was 1/3 of the price my preferred pharmacy was charging me. I also don't have insurance for prescriptions. My parents have prescriptions spread across 3 local pharmacies plus order some others thru their insurance plan to get the best prices. Crazy!

Last year there were cards that came with the samples that offered a co-pay of just $15 for the first year's refills. You might contact the company and see if they are still offering that deal or a new one.

It looks like the guafacine is single dose per day and the Intuniv brand is the only one that is extended release.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. I am going to call his Dr on Monday and see if we can get the guafacine, but if not I will be looking at area pharmacies and I got the coupon so that helps a bit. It would still come to around $60 a month and I am not sure if I have that!

There is no generic for intuniv and yes it is very expensive. My dd actually does better on guanficine than the intuniv we just have do dose mid afternoon to get through the day.

:iagree: with both the above :) dd took the short acting version for quite a while and then we switched to intuniv with the co-pay coupon, except i think ours was $20? its covered by our insurance right now. it had to be "required" and "approved" by the doctor through the insurance to cover it, but they finally got it through. she has taken it now for about 2 years, by the way....works really well, but so did the short acting ;) good luck!

There are coupons available for Intuniv as a previous poster mentioned. We currently are using a coupon that requires us to pay only $15 a month, for a 12 month period. Prior to that, it was a $70 co-pay. There is a phone number on our coupon for patients to call with questions. I don't know if that will help you, but it is worth a shot. It is: 1-866-308-4141.