Menu

How to regain strength after serious illness?

How to strengthen the immune system?

The good news is that dd gained six pounds back afster losing nine due to sickness. The bad news is that she is so weak and tired that she can barely walk from the front of the house to the back.

I am looking for ideas to help her regain her strength. We have simmered some beef bones and added miso, garlic and onions. She has to have this broth daily. I also plan to get her greek yogurt and put hemp seeds in it. She will eat this at night as hemp seeds really do curb the appetite.

I am looking for ideas to rebuild her immune system as 9/10 is when she will begin her lymes treatment. I will be getting therapeutic probiotics. There was a thread here about a xoncoction people make to strengthen their immune systems with lots of olive oil, onions, cayenne or jalepeno...... And there is a drink one can make that has natural probiotics. I forget what it is called. I have the recipe for the onion/garlic thing. She can't start that yet as she has no appetite.

I also plan to start to juice daily. She will have a fresh juice every morning.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. My brain is fried.

Wheatgrass shots

Dr. Schultz Superfood plus in a protein shake

No grains

Lots of fresh fruit and veggies

No processed anything

Lots of sleep...more than normal

Exercise....like walking or gentle bike riding. Not too much, but enough.

Sunshine and fresh air

A purposeful project.

These are the things that helped ds heal from Lyme Disease. It took 18 months....but he is better.....if not even better than before he got sick.

Cod Liver Oil - a good brand by Carlson or Nordic. Green Pasture has fermented clo. Butter from grass fed cows. The butter should be more yellow than "regular" butter.

If she can take capsules, Immune Stimulator from Nature's Sunshine.

Edited by Liz CA

Spinach. It is full of nutrients that help build muscle and blood, as well as antioxidants to improve immune function. If she'll eat a baby spinach salad, that is one option. If not, try a baby spinach and apple smoothie. I just blend up a good handful of baby spinach, peel and core an apple, a little almond milk, you could add yogurt if you wish, and I use some crushed ice. Blend it up. Looks weird, but tastes good. Some people like a banana in there over an apple.

Vitamin D oil - could be butter oil or cod liver oil...on the tongue and hold for a few seconds, very absorbable.

Elderberry extract - can be purchased as Sambucol - olive leaf and oregano oil extract or leaf in capsules. You may want to do the oil in capsules anyway because it tastes truly nasty. These will help her fight any virus or bacteria she comes in contact with.

If she will be eating stir fries, I recommend saute in coconut oil. Get some nice organic coconut oil...it gives a sweet flavor and is an excellent fat to add to her diet.

If you need to get a high calorie count into her, try macademea nuts...60 calories each, protein and healthy fat. I use these with the DS that desperately needs to gain weight and can't maintain weight easily.

Fresh air and sunshine, even if she just sits on a blanket outside while someone reads to her or she listens to an audio book or some soft, relaxing music.

Classical music, major key signatures, slow steady rhythms...these are calming and good for the heart. Stimulates the brain without overstimulating, reduces pain and fatigue...stay away from the wild stuff like opera, Sousa Marches, fast paced hectic music....Vivaldi's 4 seasons, lots of Mozart symphonies and chamber music, the sonatas, Clementi Sonantina's, anything Mendelssohn from "Song without Words", etc.

Therapeutic massage...if you can find a massage therapist that you can afford, I HIGHLY recommend this...increased circulation, reduced stress, makes a person feel rather NEW. Part of getting built up again is paying attention to mental well-being. It takes a lot of work for the body to overcome such a terrible bout of illness and if she doesn't feel good about herself, if she's mentally low, that doesn't help. It is amazing to me how much regular, excellent massages can do for a person even though their health problem is not related to injury.

Faith

I would consider taking adrenal glandulars. Either Standard Process Drenatrophin PMG (which I use) or Dr. Ron's Adrenal. After a long or severe illness her adrenals have taken a hit and a few months of some glandular supplementation could do her a lot of good. You might want to do an Adrenal Stress Index test as well.

Blessings!:grouphug:

Hi, --

You want her to be gluten free, sugar free and dairy free by the time she starts her lyme's tx. As much as you are able to keep those things out of her diet.

Probiotics: Kids n Us Megaflora: http://www.megafood.com/digestive-health-formulas/kids-n-us-megaflora

Minerals: http://renewalenterprises.com/quinton.html

Omega 3s: www.greenpasture.org

You want her eating an acid rather than alkaline based diet:

here is a link to an acid/alkaline chart: http://renewalenterprises.com/alch.html

A glass (or more) a day of water with the juice of half an organic squeezed into it (cleans the liver) and you can alternate with apple cider vinegar (a tablespoon) in a glass of water.

in addition to the lots of wter she should be drinking.

Get a juicer and juice Kale -- lots of kale -- it will really help her.

Edited by MariannNOVA

:iagree::iagree:

100%!!!!

Juicing and wheat grass...and all things rich in vitamins and minerals! No grains...no sugar....no processed junk. Ds was determined to get healthy and had to change many of his habits.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Hi, --

You want her to be gluten free, sugar free and dairy free by the time she starts her lyme's tx. As much as you are able to keep those things out of her diet.

Probiotics: Kids n Us Megaflora: http://www.megafood.com/digestive-health-formulas/kids-n-us-megaflora

Minerals: http://renewalenterprises.com/quinton.html

Omega 3s: www.greenpastures.org

You want her eating an acid rather than alkaline based diet:

here is a link to an acid/alkaline chart: http://renewalenterprises.com/alch.html

A glass (or more) a day of water with the juice of half an organic squeezed into it (cleans the liver) and you can alternate with apple cider vinegar (a tablespoon) in a glass of water.

in addition to the lots of wter she should be drinking.

Get a juicer and juice Kale -- lots of kale -- it will really help her.

Forgot to add, I don't know what treatment protocol your dd will be going on but there were some antibiotics that caused all kinds of eating issues for our dd. For example, one of them left a metallic taste in her mouth that made her stop eating yogurt entirely for some reason. Another caused so much nausea that eating was a battle every day.

So be prepared to have a back up plan for some other foods if they can't be tolerated.