Menu

Core Knowledge History textbooks on HSBC

AimeeM

I haven't used them... I'd be interested in looking at them but I can't find samples anywhere. Didn't realize they were on HSBC now. Aimee, do you know how they compare to the information actually IN the Core Knowledge books (What Your X Grader...), how much deeper they go? I assume they at least cover the same general topics since they use the "core knowledge sequence" as the others do.

At least I can give you a bump... :)

I have the student textbooks for grades 3-6 and a few of the teacher's guides. The student texts are nice. They cover the same areas as the Core Knowledge book, but much more in-depth. The student text is information, generally written at the grade level, broken into small (2-4 page) segments with a vocabulary list at the end of each segment. The number of segments per unit can vary from around seven segments up to thirty-five or forty. There are usually six to ten units per grade level. The teacher's guides are all individual. So each grade has 6-10 individual teacher's guides. The guides are black and white and very thin paper (like newspaper print) and three hole punched. The teacher's guides have additional info, activities, teaching suggestions, etc. for each individual segment of the student text. And then there is usually an activity page (like a crossword puzzle) or two and an exam to cover each unit.

I haven't used them... I'd be interested in looking at them but I can't find samples anywhere. Didn't realize they were on HSBC now. Aimee, do you know how they compare to the information actually IN the Core Knowledge books (What Your X Grader...), how much deeper they go? I assume they at least cover the same general topics since they use the "core knowledge sequence" as the others do.

At least I can give you a bump... :)

If you go to Pearson Learning (the publisher) you can see the entire table of contents I believe. It matches up to their recommendations for core knowledge completely and the grade level "big books" (or complete sets) contain (in one bound book) everything you need for a year of instruction as per their recommendations in the (what you x grader needs to know) book, but yes - much more in depth.

My only issue is that with a rising 6th grader, I'm not sure that starting their cycle is a good idea (she hasn't been with it since the beginning). But I want it! Lol.

I have the student textbooks for grades 3-6 and a few of the teacher's guides. The student texts are nice. They cover the same areas as the Core Knowledge book, but much more in-depth. The student text is information, generally written at the grade level, broken into small (2-4 page) segments with a vocabulary list at the end of each segment. The number of segments per unit can vary from around seven segments up to thirty-five or forty. There are usually six to ten units per grade level. The teacher's guides are all individual. So each grade has 6-10 individual teacher's guides. The guides are black and white and very thin paper (like newspaper print) and three hole punched. The teacher's guides have additional info, activities, teaching suggestions, etc. for each individual segment of the student text. And then there is usua lly an activity page (like a crossword puzzle) or two and an exam to cover each unit.

Are they as nice to read as their volumes like Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines? I'm looking into the sixth grade, but I'm not sure it's wise to start "in the middle" with core knowledge.

It's their homeschool bundle - parent book, teacher manual, and student book.

So then isn't this a better deal? It seems like HSBC is twice that?

Here's Pearson's page

http://www.pearsonhomeschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS14Pe&PMDBSUBCATEGORYID=&PMDBSITEID=5041&PMDBSUBSOLUTIONID=&PMDBSOLUTIONID=36022&PMDBSUBJECTAREAID=&PMDBCATEGORYID=36028&PMDbProgramID=80923

Edited by stripe

Has anyone found samples? I finally emailed Pearson to request samples but haven't heard back yet.

Nope; please share if you get a response with samples! Lol.

Anyone have an opinion on starting a rising sixth grader on the core knowledge sequence (I would probably start with the fifth grade text)? It varies from other sequences, so I'm not sure. Is this all stuff she's going to hit on again in high school (if so, I'm not so worried about her "missing" anything history-wise)?

I seem to remember being able to download a lot of their material for free just this week. I was impressed and have thought of using some of it. I'll see if I can find the site I was on and pop back with a link :)

It is impressive if it's anything like their book Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines - I love that book. It would be so nice to have a hard copy of an entire year of history instruction from them. Lol.

It is impressive if it's anything like their book Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines - I love that book. It would be so nice to have a hard copy of an entire year of history instruction from them. Lol.

I've never heard of these books. We love the What Your #st Grader Needs to Know, just to have as a loose guide.

Are they as nice to read as their volumes like Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines? I'm looking into the sixth grade, but I'm not sure it's wise to start "in the middle" with core knowledge.

I've never seen Rats, Bulls and Flying Machines. I tried looking at it on Rainbow Resource and I would say no it is not like that. From what I could see and the description on Amazon I would say that Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines is more like the type of history text that Oxford Press generally puts out. The Core Knowledge books are more basic textbook-y and written at a lower level so that the student can read it. They are more like a standard public school text just a step up.

I've never seen Rats, Bulls and Flying Machines. I tried looking at it on Rainbow Resource and I would say no it is not like that. From what I could see and the description on Amazon I would say that Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines is more like the type of history text that Oxford Press generally puts out. The Core Knowledge books are more basic textbook-y and written at a lower level so that the student can read it. They are more like a standard public school text just a step up.

Well bummer

Here is a link to some free downloads of their material. You need to scroll down a bit to get to the lesson plans. It's mostly LA stuff but there is some material from 'Grace Abounding' as well. If you poke around on the site you can find samples of their material in each discipline. HTH

Wow, Pearson was incredibly unhelpful! I finally heard back from them, and this is what they said:

Thank you for your interest in our products! Unfortunately, samples are only sent to schools or school districts. If you would like to preview textbooks, you may purchase the materials on a 30-day approval by calling Customer Service at 800-848-9500.

If the textbooks do not meet your needs, you may return them within 30 days as long as they are in salable condition. Note that technology can not be returned once opened. You will be responsible for any return shipping costs. It is recommended that you return the product in a manner that can be tracked. We also suggest that you enclose a copy of your packing slip inside the package.

I got some of the Pearson CK history materials years ago and found them, well, a bit too textbooky for me. One thing I love about CK is that it is flexible about aha materials you choose for learning about a subject. To me (and just my opinion), using a "canned" approach defeats this.

I have found that using Teacher Handbooks from the CK website, plus Books to Build On, has been a good choice for our family.