Menu

if you have used/use/plan to use Galloping the Globe...

Leanna76

Hi! I'm planning to use GTG with my DD (2nd grade) this year. I've been looking through the book and it looks really interesting/fun. But, how do you decide on what to do each day??? Is there a schedule on the web or one you who have used it "made up" and would be willing to share? I'm looking for a schedule that incorporates some of the suggested "core" books. There are so many resources listed that it's hard to know what to use! Help :-)

Thank you!

I came up with some plans a few years ago and we had a really good time! It was so much fun to plan AND to implement which is usually my downfall! :). Anyway...we did it 3 days a week after our afternoon rest time and the kids all really enjoyed it which is not always the case around here! I scheduled in books and found fun videos on YouTube for us to watch together (sumo wrestling, figure skating, henna tattoos, etc.). We did the Geography Songs CD and read about missionaries, watched a few movies and really had a good time.

I would love to share my plans with you, but I'm not sure the copy on my computer still exists, because dh had to clean everything off to get it to work at all. We're deep into the stomach bug here right now (yuk!), but I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can find them. I will go ahead and tell you that in the end I really didn't actually use GTG so much as lots of printables and ideas from the awesome mom at homeschoolcreations.net. Amazing stuff and she is one of my heroes now! Go check it out and you'll have more info than you thought possible!

I'll post tomorrow and let you know if I could get my hands on my plans.

We used it, but it has been a long while now... (Four years ago?!)

I would pick a country of interest... Like France during the Tour de France or Japan when our local Japanese garden was having a festival. If I couldn't tie it to a current event, I would just pick a country at random.

I never had great luck finding their suggested books at our little library. I would just do a search of our library's collection and find books, videos and music that were appropriate.

I didn't make a formal schedule, as this was pre-K and K years. We read a lot. Made some cute lapbooks. (Some from Homeschoolshare, some I made up.) Went on related field trips. Studied maps.

I used it with my kids and taught it at a coop when my son was in 1st grade. GTG was one of the best things we've used.

Each week, I hit the library and collected as much of the literature and fact-based books as I could find. I used the GTG recommendations, but I also just did a general search of the country. I didn't find it necessary to make up a schedule other than planning on whether we would spend 1 or 2 weeks on each of the countries. Some of our favorite series were -- Look What's Made in (Country Name) and A Family from (Country name) dvds. There is also an out-of-print series of Disney books that were just perfect -- Disney's Small World Library -- http://www.amazon.com/The-Runaway-Kite-Adventure-Disneys/dp/B003ZKGARO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1343809239&sr=8-11&keywords=disney+small+world+library . These books are fun, but they also highlight major landmarks, and customs for each country.

Then we would read at least one fact-based book each day and as much literature as we had time for. I just kept a big stack next to our breakfast table and picked from it.

We also did a craft or some cooking each week. We did sugar cube igloos for the arctic, a diorama of a coral reef for Australia, a Japanese meal, a volcano for Mexico, chocolate bread for Holland, etc. Some of the ideas were from the GTG book and others were things I found from the yahoo group off just by googling. My son has lots of food allergies or I would have done more cooking and eating at restaurants.

Anyway, it was a great year for us, but it did take some time planning. I was really gung-ho about homeschooling when we did it. My kids were young and it was all still very new to me so I never tired of it. I'm not sure if I'd be as successful with it now.

Lisa

ETA: I want to add that we did not use most of the recommended resources. I bought them, but did not care for them other than the Children Around the World book. The cookbook wasn't available when we did the program, but if it was, I probably would have bought that.

Edited by LisaTheresa

This varies a bit, but the basic pattern I followed:

~Read a section from a book about countries and people (many like Children Like Me)

~Read related missionary bio from the Miller book

~Read the section from Our Father's World

~Read a fairy tale from that country ( Around the World in 80 Tales is a handy resource)

~Read about the climate and geography (rainforest, etc) in that part of the world

~Pick and animal or 2 from there to read about

~If I found a recipe or craft I though my dd would enjoy we did it

~If I found related lapbook parts from HomeSchoolShare she did those

~If I had a vid that related to that part of the world we watched it (Ghost in the Darkness for example -Africa and lions. Not for children who are easily scared.)

~Sometimes I mixed FIAR lessons with GTG. Just reading the mentioned picture books is great too.

I never followed a set time frame to complete anything. We just enjoyed what we did.

My suggestion of books to have on hand other than the guide:

~Any book about people and places

~Any animal encyclopedia

~Missionary Stories with the Millers

~Our Father's World

~ Around the World in 80 Tales

~Book about climates/biomes around the world

Use HHS if you like lapbooks they also have cards you can print up with pics from places and animals around the globe.

Use Youtube

Check your shelves for what you have already (books and vids)

ETA:

My dd also enjoyed putting a flag sticker into her *Passport*.

And listening to the Geography Songs cd

Edited by Susie in MS

I am using it this year with dd. We are using it for ideas mainly. Our spine is Children Just Like Me, but the book suggestions and a few other things I am using from GTG. We are not using GTG for anything but the geography study.

Someone posted yesterday a great site for notebook pages to go with a World Cultural course for younger students:

http://homeschoolcreations.com/Geography.html

I can post our first few weeks schedule if you are interested.