Menu

Okay, either make women's floor exercise like men's - test of skills only or

Faith, it will look fine from behind a rum fill haze. :cheers2:

Well, I'll grant you that. But, nothing, no amount of booze or chocolate would make the commentaries by Bob Costas and Meredith Viera any better. For that, general anesthesia would be required!

Faith

Well, I'll grant you that. But, nothing, no amount of booze or chocolate would make the commentaries by Bob Costas and Meredith Viera any better. For that, general anesthesia would be required!

Faith

:iagree: And I'd personally like to see the artistry back. They all look so awkward and nothing ever goes with the music, so why bother with it anyway? When I listen to the commentators talking about how graceful one of the gymnasts is I am always like :confused: didn't we just watch the same girl?

I think it has to do with priorities. The scoring system rewards all the tricks and dangerous skills. It does not reward quality of movement. So, most of these girls do not spend time on dance training to do justice to good choreography. I do miss dynamic choreography. Why do they bother? So what if they can do a triple pirouette if they land like a total klutz. I miss Ludmilla Tourischeva! She was a joy to watch on floor. And Kathy Johnson also had goregous floor exercise routines. And these were before the spring-loaded floor was introduced.

I just saw a couple of the Australian floor routines, I missed their names; but the second one impressed me more than any on the US team did at trials. Her lines and foot shape were much better. It looked like she had actually had some dance.

Watching the trials, I was really annoyed by the gymnastics feet, I cringed at many of their pointes! But, I spend my evenings teaching kids to properly pointe and how tostretch theor knees and create beautiful lines....I am also a choreogrpapher, so it makes me crazy when they can't match the music at all!

I caught the last 2 of the Australian floor routine. The last one did a front tuck, she had one knee to each shoulder...it looked like a flying gynecological position. My jaw was on the floor, isn't she supposed to have her knees together and toes pointed? It was absolutely graceless. She did go on to do some other things that looked better, but that one stunt was :001_huh:

I just saw a couple of the Australian floor routines, I missed their names; but the second one impressed me more than any on the US team did at trials. Her lines and foot shape were much better. It looked like she had actually had some dance.

:iagree:

Watching the trials, I was really annoyed by the gymnastics feet, I cringed at many of their pointes! But, I spend my evenings teaching kids to properly pointe and how tostretch theor knees and create beautiful lines....I am also a choreogrpapher, so it makes me crazy when they can't match the music at all!

While I wouldn't necessarily say they demonstrated great artistry, the 2 Australian girls I just saw definitely had much cleaner lines.

I think it has to do with priorities. The scoring system rewards all the tricks and dangerous skills. It does not reward quality of movement. So, most of these girls do not spend time on dance training to do justice to good choreography. I do miss dynamic choreography. Why do they bother? So what if they can do a triple pirouette if they land like a total klutz. I miss Ludmilla Tourischeva! She was a joy to watch on floor. And Kathy Johnson also had goregous floor exercise routines. And these were before the spring-loaded floor was introduced.

I thought I was just being picky and the only one who noticed the klutzy landings.

I think you are right--it's all about the scoring (which I cannot make heads or tails of anymore).

Faith

This is a good argument for cable tv. We have a variety of channels, there is a Brit commentating on the soccer right now.

I caught the last 2 of the Australian floor routine. The last one did a front tuck, she had one knee to each shoulder...it looked like a flying gynecological position. My jaw was on the floor, isn't she supposed to have her knees together and toes pointed? It was absolutely graceless. She did go on to do some other things that looked better, but that one stunt was :001_huh:

This tight tuck makes it easier to do more revolutions, but it is less attractive. In years past, it would not have been rewarded. But, completing difficult moves under this scoring system is more important than how pretty they are. I think we need to have more points for quality. Way back when, the Chinese male gymnasts were not known for their flashy skills, but they were known for quality. Nothing was worth doing unless you did it well. I can't think of the word they used - it is on the tip of my tongue. Nobody seems to care about qualty.

I will say that the difference I notice between 1992 and, to some extent, 1996 and now in gymnastics, is that the women gymnasts don't look they are starving and waiting to get beaten for stepping out of bounds. They look...happier, healthier, and not like 12 year olds.

I will say that the difference I notice between 1992 and, to some extent, 1996 and now in gymnastics, is that the women gymnasts don't look they are starving and waiting to get beaten for stepping out of bounds. They look...happier, healthier, and not like 12 year olds.

I agree that they do look healthier. But, they also look more powerful and less graceful. MaryLou Retton looked powerful, but she was graceful as well.

I agree that they do look healthier. But, they also look more powerful and less graceful. MaryLou Retton looked powerful, but she was graceful as well.

I agree there as well.

I could go for more grace and less power/dangerous moves. If I had my way I'd like to see healthy looking graceful athletes who are doing less difficult tricks.

:iagree: And I'd personally like to see the artistry back. They all look so awkward and nothing ever goes with the music, so why bother with it anyway? When I listen to the commentators talking about how graceful one of the gymnasts is I am always like :confused: didn't we just watch the same girl?

:iagree:I was just saying the other day when we were watching the trials that I didn't understand the point of the music. It never lines up to anything!!

I was JUST coming here to mention her! She brought me back to some of the routines I remember as a kid. Fun, not just flip after flip. She looked liked she was having a really good time out there dancing around. :D