Menu

Birthday Parties

What do you do for your kid's parties (if you have them) at home? I have 16 kids and 7 adults coming to my house and suddenly had a bad case of the nerves today. Usually, the kids play and the adults talk, but we usually have less children.

He is turning 10. A craft? Games? Goody bags? (I usually don't - hate junk toys and too much candy- but there are children coming this year who are not as close to us and I worry they will expect it). What food is a favorite?

He is not really having a theme. He wants a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy cake.

Instead of a goodie bag at that age I like it when they make something. So decorating a cheap t-shirt, or make your own pizza or sundae, etc. Gives them something to do.

When my son turned 10 we had a sports party. They tried to throw a football through a hoop, played basketball, and something else i don't remember. Then they came inside and we did make your own pizzas using pita bread.

Even something simple like a game of horseshoes or bocci ball or something can keep them going for a while.

Otherwise hit the dollar store for something for them to decorate and take home.

We only had a few parties when the boys were small--one Peter Pan party with a treasure hunt was esp memorable. We went to Laser Quest once.

Dd has sleepovers--just 2. For the first one, we put a movie on the wall with the church projector, they painted birdhouses, and they spent the night in the treehouse--just two friends. For the second, they made pillowcases (decorated with fabric markers--drew on them, then signed each other's), watched a movie, and I think made some sort of snack.

Goody bags were phased out after 5yo. We did have two pinatas when the kids were small. Hmmm.

Maybe a lego-building challenge of some sort? Some water-based games? Relays might be fun. Maybe play up the Olympic theme a bit? Or a space craft of some sort?

Oh man, I loves me some birthday partying! We do big fun parties. They're always themed though. We've done and Indiana Jones party where we had an archaeological dig, a hieroglyphics challenge and a treasure hunt that led them to the "ark" (a cooler spray painted gold) that held small trinkets. They each got an Indiana Jones style bag with a notebook, pencil, small flash light and a few pieces of candy and some of the trinkets from the ark instead of goodie bags. Oh, and James Bond carved watermelon brains (from the second movie). The kids went nuts over these.

We had a pirate party that involved a walking the plank relay race, a swabbing the deck relay race (pushing ping pong balls on the grass with a broom-HARD!) and a canon ball pop, which was so much fun. Every kid had 2 black balloons tied on them at the ankles (about 3 feet of ribbon) and they had to pop each others balloons without getting their own popped. They loved this game. Instead of goodie bags they each got a drawstring black backpack with a skull and cross bones on it (Oriental Trading), a plastic pirate sword, pirate print bandana, pirate tattoos, gold coins and a few pieces of candy.

Next Sat we're doing a Star Wars party! The kids will have to go through Jedi training academy and will get a tunic (made from canvas drop cloths) and a light saber to keep instead of goodie bags. They will have to learn to wield their light saber properly (I'm using Disney's Jedi academy as a model for this), run an obstacle course wearing a Yoda backpack and will team up and keep balloons in the air with their light sabers.

I like to theme my food too. We'll be having Degoba Swamp water (lime sherbert punch), Wookie Cookies, Admiral Ak-bars, and a few other kookie things.

We've done Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder, Spongebob and a few others. I ♥ birthday parties!

BTW, I totally dress up. This year I have a tunic and a Jedi robe like Obi-Wan. :D

We always have big birthday parties. Big because entire families with siblings etc come. I have stuffed 30 people into my teensy house!

Starting at age 10 my son got really interested in games. We split the kids up by age and they play games. For the littles, it is parent led and supervised. For the middle kids, my son sort of ran the games. The older kids and parents played their own games.

We serve homemade pizza, and lots of healthy snacks. I am amazed at how many veggie plates 12 year olds will empty when they are playing a game, lol. I usually make cupcakes for that many people.

If kids get antsy there is always taking a break and running around outside like maniacs.

I think these game parties are a hit, because so many people come.

We stopped goodie bags when they were 5 or 6.

:lol: someone needs to come here and do this party!! Ya'lls sound fun!

I was thinking that I guess it could be kind of a space/galaxy theme if I need that to work around :tongue_smilie:

I like these ideas! Games would prob work well. Tshirts sound good, but where in the world would one get that to be affordable? I have a pack of fabric markers. Tie-dyeing would not be interesting to these kids (they already do it a lot).

:lol: someone needs to come here and do this party!! Ya'lls sound fun!

I was thinking that I guess it could be kind of a space/galaxy theme if I need that to work around :tongue_smilie:

I like these ideas! Games would prob work well. Tshirts sound good, but where in the world would one get that to be affordable? I have a pack of fabric markers. Tie-dyeing would not be interesting to these kids (they already do it a lot).

Dollar store probably. Or get undershirts in packages at walmart.

Oh, and squirt guns go over well!