Menu

new article/book on homeschooling

I recognize that name! Quinn Cummings played Marsha Mason's daughter Lucy in the movie "The Goodbye Girl" (Richard Dreyfuss co-starred), way, way back in the last 70s. Dh and I were just talking about that movie the other day. (She may well have done other acting work; that's the only thing I know for sure she was in.)

I really liked the article and can't wait to read the book. :)

ETA: According to IMDB, she had a role in the show "Family" and also was in an episode of "Blossom," with Mayim Bialik who also homeschools.

Edited by Maverick_Mom

Homo sapiens have walked the Earth for at least 130,000 years and, in this time, they learned to be human from their elders, not from their peers. Mandatory education in the U.S. is less than 150 years old. Learning to be a productive adult human by spending a third of every day with other kids might be a good idea, but it's too soon to tell. I'm still unsure that the people best equipped to teach a 14-year-old boy how to be a man are other 14-year-old boys.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I loved that part. And her vision of education pulling from lots of different sources. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping...

I just got her book from the library today. Had to leave the room because my laughter was interfering with a lecture my son was watching.

It's good.

Also, she lists some books for reference at the back of the book. WTM is there :)