Menu

Two bottles of BBQ sauce in a carry on?

If you purchased two bottles of BBQ sauce and wanted to take them on an airplane, what would be the surest means of actually arriving at your destination with said BBQ sauce intact?

Obviously, putting them in a carry-on wouldn't work, but would you be allowed to store them in a checked bag? Or should they just be shipped via UPS or something?

I know. It does, doens't it?

"But Officer, it's just a bottle of BBQ sauce!"

Maybe he should go buy a bunch of little two ounce containers and pour it all into those and then he would be allowed to have them in his carry on!

Ridiculous!!

ER went on a choir tour/mission trip last month; the group flew from Atlanta to Buffalo and back. He had purchased a new can of Finger Ease guitar string lubricant (aerosol spray can) and put it in his guitar amp case, which went through checked baggage. No problems going from Atlanta to Buffalo, but after the return flight, he opened his amp case and found a note that said that security had discarded his can of Finger Ease! We figured that they randomly select bags to inspect, and his amp case was checked on the return flight but not the flight out of Atlanta.

If UPS is an option, that is the one I would choose. With my luck, it would not survive a trip in check baggage and all my clothes would be covered in bbq sauce. Or, you can pack it in a box and check the box. But these days, that will cost you more than UPS.

Hmmm...okay. We will be really bummed if this gets confiscated. Maybe we should just ship it.

Is there actually a law against transporting food in a checked bag?

But you won't be able to have them in your carry-on if they hold more than three ounces of liquid.

I believe the current rules are that you are allowed a few bottles or tubes of liquid in your carry-on bag. Each container may hold no more than three ounces, and all of them together must fit inside a single quart-sized zip-top baggie.

If UPS is an option, that is the one I would choose. With my luck, it would not survive a trip in check baggage and all my clothes would be covered in bbq sauce. Or, you can pack it in a box and check the box. But these days, that will cost you more than UPS.

Well, it's dh and he's flying back from Dallas, so that is always a concern. We have a friend in the area who could stop off, get the bottles from dh and ship them, but I'm trying to avoid inconveniencing him. Hmmm...

As good as the BBQ sauce is, I wouldn't send it through. When we were in Prague, a family pulled an oozing suitcase off the carousel. They had packed a container of honey, wrapped it in plastic, and put it in a Ziploc bag, but still KA-BOOM! The impact of air pressure would have them tracking down a laudromat in Prague - not what I would want to be doing. So, I'd leave the BBQ sauce.

~Cindy