Menu

Suggestions for first audiobooks for littles?

La Condessa

I recently got a couple of audiobooks from Audible.com for my 3-year-old daughter to listen to during quiet time. One was a fairy tale collection, which I made the mistake of turning on for her to listen to in her room without listening myself, first. They are the original Grimm's Fairy Tales, and I was kind of horrified later when I heard part of it myself.

I wish now I'd gotten something like Winnie-the-Pooh, which I decided against because it seemed expensive for a recording that wouldn't even last for a whole nap time. So many of the children's books just don't seem worth the cost for the length. What audiobooks have your little ones enjoyed that didn't break the bank for the listening time?

Well, for Pooh I cannot recommend Peter Dennis enough

http://www.poohcorner.com/

I promise it will last more than one nap time, lol. My kids STILL listen to him. When we drive to Maine next month, I promise that there will be a request for Pooh.

Another possibility is Jim Weiss. Animal Tales is a great first story telling CD. My kids also enjoyed "Tell me a Story" and "Uncle Wiggly" at that age.

Does your library have audiobooks? I agree, many are expensive, and sometimes it's hard to justify the cost!

Whinnie the Pooh was a favorite of ours, and I remember it being somewhat lengthy. Sorry, I can't remember the exact version/name of narrator, but it was from the original A. A. Milne book, not a Disney or other retelling. But maybe it is shorter than I remember!

Others my son has enjoyed are Frog and Toad and anything by Roald Dahl (though you may not agree with the Dahl books for one as young as three. As started those when my son was about four and a half).

My library has a pretty poor selection of children's audiobooks, and most of them are very old and on tape. We don't own a tape player.

It might be cheaper to just buy a tape player and have full access to the library titles if it has any decent titles...:tongue_smilie:

Well, for Pooh I cannot recommend Peter Dennis enough

http://www.poohcorner.com/

I promise it will last more than one nap time, lol. My kids STILL listen to him. When we drive to Maine next month, I promise that there will be a request for Pooh.

Another possibility is Jim Weiss. Animal Tales is a great first story telling CD. My kids also enjoyed "Tell me a Story" and "Uncle Wiggly" at that age.

Oh, that's the Pooh version we had! Peter Dennis. Now I remember (don't know how I could forget--my son still talks in a British accent half the time)!

OP, of your library doesn't have a good selection of audiobooks on CD, can you check them out online in digital format? That's how I always do it--I can download them as mp3s or whatnot right onto my iPhone or computer.

My Father's Dragon was our children's first introduction to audiobooks. Perfect introduction for us. There are three books included on the audiobook.

Another suggestion would be any of the books by Jim Weiss. I think some of them are animal stories, nighttime stories, etc. Tell Me a Story was my favorite one!

I would ask the library to order some. . .they usually have money for patron requests.

It might be cheaper to just buy a tape player and have full access to the library titles if it has any decent titles...:tongue_smilie:

They do have Winnie-the Pooh on tape, but that was the only age appropriate one I've seen there.

I would ask the library to order some. . .they usually have money for patron requests.

Okay, I've never made a request like that, but I'll ask them.

Thank you for the ideas everyone! I'll be looking up these titles!