Menu

Someone please help me make spaghetti sauce!

Saute some chopped onion, celery, bell pepper (maybe some carrot and zucchini) when tender add 2 cans tomato sauce (or homemade tomato sauce) and a can of tomato paste. Stir in some fresh basil, minced garlic, salt and pepper.

If you want meaty sauce brown some ground beef (or Italian sausage or combo of beef and sausage) with the veggies.

I do one can petite dived tomatoes, one small can tomato sauce, one small can tomato paste.

1. In olive oil, saute diced onions, garlic, amd whatever else you want. I have done zucchini, mushrooms, squash, and spinach. I just open the fridge or head to the garden and see what we have ;) I also usually add ground beef.

2. Season with fresh or dried basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, salt, amd pepper.

3. Once meat is done and the onions are clear, add tomatos, sauce, and paste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.

***In the next few days we will have enough large tomatoes for me.to really start from scratch! I can't wait!

I keep it simple. Two 27 oz cans of crushed tomatoes, olive oil, salt, minced garlic, basil, oregano, and a squeeze of agave nectar to make it less acidic, it only takes a little. The longer it simmers on the stove or the crock pot, the better it is. I like to use a lot of the olive oil and basil, everything is to taste. :001_smile:

The above is what I do in the winter, but in the summer I finely chop 4 roma tomatoes and put them, peel, juice, and all, into a saucepan with a tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil. I add some finely chopped onion, garlic, a teaspoon or so of sugar to cut the acidity, some basil and parsley (even better if they're fresh), and maybe a little tomato paste. Sometimes I add in a couple tablespoons of chicken broth, or a packet of buillion with 1/4 cup of water.

If you add the salt early, the tomatoes will break down into the sauce more. If you add salt later, the sauce will be chunky. I heat this over medium-low while the pasta cooks.

I prefer this nice, fresh taste when good tomatoes are around.

This is a no fail recipe. You will love it and so will your family and all your friends.

Jim’s Spaghetti Sauce

2 pounds ground beef

1.5 onions diced

1 can tomato sauce (30 ounces)

2 small cans tomato paste

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp pepper

2-3 bay leaves

¼ cup sugar

2 tsp chili powder

2 tsp salt

1 tsp vinegar

(I add more tomato sauce and increase the seasonings accordingly)

Combine all ingredients into crock pot and cook on high for about 3-5 hours (depending on the power of your crock). Then reduce to low until ready to serve. Stir every hour while cooking.